- After these things, the word of the LORD came vnto Abram in a vision, saying;
Feare not, Abram: I am thy shield, and thy exceeding great reward.
- And Abram said, Lord GOD, what wilt thou giue me, seeing I goe childlesse?
and the steward of my house is this Eliezer of Damascus.
- And Abram said;
Behold, to mee thou hast given no seed: and loe, one borne in my house is mine heire.
- And behold, the word of the LORD came vnto him, saying;
This shall not be thine heire: but he that shall come foorth out of thy owne bowels, shalbe thine heire.
- And he brought him forth abroad, and said, Looke now towards heauen, and tell the starres, if thou be able to number them.
And hee said vnto him, So shall thy seed be.
- And he beleeued in the LORD;
and hee counted it to him for righteousnesse.
- And he said vnto him;
I am the LORD that brought thee out of Ur of the Caldees, to give thee this land, to inherit it.
- And he said, Lord GOD, whereby shal I know that I shall inherit it?
- And he said vnto him, Take me an heifer of three yeeres old, and a shee goat of three yeeres old, and a ramme of three yeeres old, and a turtle doue, and a yong pigeon.
- And he tooke vnto him all these, and diuided them in the midst, and layd each peece one against another: but the birds diuided he not.
- And when the fowles came downe vpon the carcases, Abram droue them away.
- And when the Sunne was going downe, a deepe sleepe fell vpon Abram: and loe, an horrour of great darkenesse fell vpon him.
- And he said vnto Abram, Know of a surety, that thy seed shalbe a stranger, in a land that is not theirs, and shal serue them, and they shall afflict them foure hundred yeeres.
- And also that nation whom they shall serue, wil I iudge: and afterward shall they come out with great substance.
- And thou shalt goe to thy fathers in peace;
thou shalt be buried in a good old age.
- But in the fourth generation they shall come hither againe: for the iniquitie of the Amorites is not yet full.
- And it came to passe that when the Sunne went downe, and it was darke, behold, a smoking furnace, and a burning lampe that passed betweene those pieces.
- In that same day the LORD made a couenant with Abram, saying;
Unto thy seed haue I giuen this land from the riuer of Egypt vnto the great riuer, the riuer Euphrates:
- The Kenites, and the Kenizites, and the Kadmonites:
- And the Hittites, and the Perizzites, and the Rephaims,
- And the Amorites, and the Canaanites, and the Girgashites, and the Iebusites.