- And Abraham iourneyed from thence, toward the South-Countrey, and dwelled betweene Cadesh and Shur, and soiourned in Gerar.
- And Abraham said of Sarah his wife, She is my sister: And Abimelech King of Gerar sent, and tooke Sarah.
- But God came to Abimelech in a dreame by night, and said to him, Behold, thou art but a dead man, for the woman which thou hast taken: for shee is a mans wife.
- But Abimelech had not come neere her: and he said, LORD, wilt thou slay also a righteous nation?
- Said he not vnto me, She is my sister?
and she, euen she herselfe said, Hee is my brother: in the integritie of my heart, and innocencie of my hands haue I done this.
- And God saide vnto him in a dreame, Yea, I know that thou didst this in the integritie of thy heart: for I also withheld thee from sinning against mee, therefore suffered I thee not to touch her.
- Now therefore restore the man his wife: for he is a Prophet, and he shal pray for thee, and thou shalt liue: and if thou restore her not, know thou that thou shalt surely die, thou, and all that are thine.
- Therefore Abimelech rose earely in the morning, and called all his seruants, and told all these things in their eares: and the men were sore afraid.
- Then Abimelech called Abraham, and said vnto him, What hast thou done vnto vs?
and what haue I offended thee, that thou hast brought on me, and on my kingdome a great sinne?
thou hast done deeds vnto mee that ought not to be done.
- And Abimelech said vnto Abraham, What sawest thou, that thou hast done this thing?
- And Abraham said, Because I thought, Surely the feare of God is not in this place: and they will slay mee for my wiues sake.
- And yet indeed shee is my sister: she is the daughter of my father, but not the daughter of my mother;
and shee became my wife.
- And it came to passe when God caused me to wander from my fathers house, that I said vnto her, This is thy kindnesse which thou shalt shew vnto me;
at euery place whither wee shall come, say of me, He is my brother.
- And Abimelech tooke sheepe and oxen, and men-seruants, and women seruants, and gaue them vnto Abraham, and restored him Sarah his wife.
- And Abimelech said, Behold, my land is before thee;
dwel where it pleaseth thee.
- And vnto Sarah hee said, Behold, I haue giuen thy brother a thousand pieces of siluer: behold, he is to thee a couering of the eyes, vnto all that are with thee, and with all other: thus shee was reproued.
- So Abraham prayed vnto God: and God healed Abimelech, and his wife, and his maid-seruants, and they bare children.
- For the LORD had fast closed vp all the wombes of the house of Abimelech, because of Sarah Abrahams wife.