- Then Iacob went on his iourney, and came into the land of the people of the East.
- And he looked, and behold, a well in the field, and loe, there were three flocks of sheepe lying by it: for out of that wel they watered the flocks: and a great stone was vpon the welles mouth.
- And thither were all the flockes gathered, and they rolled the stone from the wels mouth, & watered the sheepe, and put the stone againe vpon the wels mouth in his place.
- And Iacob said vnto them, My brethren, whence be ye?
and they saide, Of Haran are we.
- And he said vnto them, Know ye Laban the sonne of Nahor?
And they sayde, We knowe him.
- And he said vnto them, Is hee well?
and they said, He is well: and behold, Rachel his daughter commeth with the sheepe.
- And hee said, Loe, it is yet high day, neither is it time that the cattell should be gathered together: water yee the sheepe, and goe and feed them.
- And they said, We cannot, vntill all the flockes bee gathered together, and till they rolle the stone from the welles mouth: then wee water the sheepe.
- And while hee yet spake with them, Rachel came with her fathers sheepe: for she kept them.
- And it came to passe, when Iacob saw Rachel the daughter of Laban his mothers brother, and the sheepe of Laban his mothers brother;
that Iacob went neere, and rolled the stone from the wels mouth, and watered the flocke of Laban his mothers brother.
- And Iacob kissed Rachel, and lifted vp his voyce, and wept.
- And Iacob told Rachel, that hee was her fathers brother, and that hee was Rebekahs sonne: and she ranne, and told her father.
- And it came to passe, when Laban heard the tidings of Iacob his sisters sonne, that he ranne to meete him, and imbraced him, and kissed him, & brought him to his house: and hee tolde Laban all these things.
- And Laban said to him, Surely thou art my bone and my flesh: and he abode with him the space of a moneth.
- And Laban said vnto Iacob, Because thou art my brother, shouldest thou therefore serue me for nought?
tell me, what shall thy wages be?
- And Laban had two daughters: the name of the elder was Leah, and the name of the yonger was Rachel.
- Leah was tender eyed: but Rachel was beautiful and well fauoured.
- And Iacob loued Rachel, and said, I will serue thee seuen yeeres for Rachel thy yonger daughter.
- And Laban said, It is better that I giue her to thee, then that I should giue her to another man: abide with mee.
- And Iacob serued seuen yeeres for Rachel: and they seemed vnto him but a few dayes, for the loue hee had to her.
- And Iacob said vnto Laban, Giue me my wife (for my dayes are fulfilled) that I may goe in vnto her.
- And Laban gathered together all the men of the place, and made a feast.
- And it came to passe in the euening, that he tooke Leah his daughter, and brought her to him, and he went in vnto her.
- And Laban gaue vnto his daughter Leah, Zilpah his mayde, for a handmayd.
- And it came to passe, that in the morning, behold it was Leah: and he said to Laban, What is this thou hast done vnto mee?
did not I serue with thee for Rachel?
wherefore then hast thou beguiled me?
- And Laban said, It must not be so done in our countrey, to giue the yonger, before the first borne.
- Fulfill her weeke, and wee will giue thee this also, for the seruice which thou shalt serue with mee, yet seuen other yeeres.
- And Iacob did so, and fulfilled her weeke: and he gaue him Rachel his daughter to wife also.
- And Laban gaue to Rachel his daughter, Bilhah his handmayd, to be her mayd.
- And hee went in also vnto Rachel, and he loued also Rachel more then Leah, and serued with him yet seuen other yeeres.
- And when the LORD saw that Leah was hated, hee opened her wombe: but Rachel was barren.
- And Leah conceiued and bare a sonne, and shee called his name Reuben: for she said, Surely, the LORD hath looked vpon my affliction;
now therefore my husband will loue me.
- And shee conceiued againe, and bare a sonne, and saide, Because the LORD hath heard that I was hated, hee hath therefore giuen mee this sonne also, and she called his name Simeon.
- And shee conceiued againe, and bare a sonne, and said, Now this time will my husband be ioyned vnto me, because I haue borne him three sonnes: therefore was his name called Leui.
- And shee conceiued againe, and bare a sonne: and she said, Now wil I praise the LORD: therefore she called his name Iudah, and left bearing.