- My brethren, bee not many masters, knowing that we shall receiue the greater condemnation.
- For in many things we offend all.
If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body.
- Behold, we put bittes in the horses mouthes, that they may obey vs, and we turne about their whole body.
- Behold also the ships, which though they be so great, and are driuen of fierce windes, yet are they turned about with a very small helme, whithersoeuer the gouernour listeth.
- Euen so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things: behold, how great a matter a litle fire kindleth.
- And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquitie: so is the tongue amongst our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature, and it is set on fire of hell.
- For euery kind of beasts, and of birds, and of serpents, and things in the sea, is tamed, and hath been tamed of mankind.
- But the tongue can no man tame, it is an vnruly euill, ful of deadly poyson.
- Therewith blesse wee God, euen the Father: and therewith curse wee men, which are made after the similitude of God.
- Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing: my brethren, these things ought not so to be.
- Doeth a fountaine send foorth at the same place sweet water and bitter?
- Can ye figtree, my brethren, beare oliue berries?
either a vine, figs?
so can no fountaine both yeeld salt water & fresh.
- Who is a wise man and indued with knowledge amongst you?
let him shew out of a good conuersation his workes with meekenes of wisedome.
- But if ye haue bitter enuying and strife in your hearts glory not, and lie not against the trueth.
- This wisedome descendeth not from aboue, but is earthly, sensuall, deuilish.
- For where enuying and strife is, there is confusion, and euery euill worke.
- But the wisedome that is from aboue, is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easie to be intreated, full of mercy, and good fruits, without partialitie, and without hypocrisie.
- And the fruit of righteousnesse is sowen in peace, of them that make peace.