- Now after that she had ceased to cry vnto the God of Israel, and had made an end of all these words,
- She rose where she had fallen downe, and called her maide, and went downe into the house, in the which she abode in the Sabbath dayes and in her feast dayes,
- And pulled off the sackcloth which she had on, and put off the garments of her widowhood, and washed her body all ouer with water, and annointed herselfe with precious ointment, and braided the haire of her head, and put on a tire vpon it, and put on her garments of gladnesse, wherewith she was clad during the life of Manasses her husband.
- And she tooke sandals vpon her feete, and put about her, her bracelets and her chaines, and her rings, and her earerings, and all her ornaments, and decked her selfe brauely to allure the eyes of all men that should see her.
- Then she gaue her mayd a bottle of wine, and a cruse of oyle, and filled a bagge with parched corne, and lumpes of figs, and with fine bread, so she folded all these things together, and layd them vpon her.
- Thus they went forth to the gate of the citie of Bethulia, and found standiug there Ozias, and the ancients of the city Chabris, and Charmis.
- And when they saw her, that her countenance was altered, and her apparel was changed, they wondered at her beautie very greatly, and said vnto her,
- The God, the God of our fathers giue thee fauour, and accomplish thine enterprises to the glory of the children of Israel, and to the exaltation of Ierusalem: then they worshipped God.
- And she said vnto them, Command the gates of the city to be opened vnto me, that I may goe forth to accomplish the things, whereof you haue spoken with me;
so they commanded the yong men to open vnto her, as shee had spoken.
- And when they had done so, Iudeth went out, she and her mayd with her, and the men of the citie looked after her, vntill shee was gone downe the mountaine, and till she had passed the valley, and could see her no more.
- Thus they went straight foorth in the valley: and the first watch of the Assyrians met her;
- And tooke her, and asked her, Of what people art thou?
and whence comest thou?
and whither goest thou?
And she said, I am a woman of the Hebrewes, and am fled from them: for they shalbe giuen you to be consumed:
- And I am comming before Olofernes the chiefe captaine of your army, to declare words of trueth, and I will shew him a way, whereby he shall goe, and winne all the hil countrey, without loosing the body or life of any one of his men.
- Now when the men heard her wordes, and beheld her countenance, they wondered greatly at her beautie, and said vnto her;
- Thou hast saued thy life, in that thou hast hasted to come downe to the presence of our lord: now therfore come to his tent, and some of vs shall conduct thee, vntill they haue deliuered thee to his hands.
- And when thou standest before him, bee not afraid in thine heart: but shew vnto him according to thy word, and he will intreat thee well.
- Then they chose out of them an hundred men, to accompany her and her mayd, and they brought her to the tent of Olofernes.
- Then was there a concourse throughout all the campe: for her comming was noised among the tents, and they came about her, as she stood without the tent of Olofernes, till they told him of her.
- And they wondered at her beautie, and admired the children of Israel because of her, and euery one said to his neighbour;
Who would despise this people, that haue among them such women, surely it is not good that one man of them be left, who being let goe, might deceiue the whole earth.
- And they that lay neere Olofernes, went out, and all his seruants, and they brought her into the tent.
- Now Olofernes rested vpon his bed vnder a canopie which was wouen with purple, and gold, and emeraudes, and precious stones.
- So they shewed him of her, and he came out before his tent, with siluer lampes going before him.
- And when Iudeth was come before him and his seruants, they all marueiled at the beautie of her countenance;
and she fel downe vpon her face, and did reuerence vnto him;
and his seruants tooke her vp.