- The word of the Lord that came to Ieremiah concerning the dearth.
- Iudah mourneth, and the gates thereof languish, they are blacke vnto the ground, and the crie of Ierusalem is gone vp.
- And their nobles haue sent their litle ones to the waters, they came to the pits and found no water, they returned with the vessels emptie: they were ashamed and confounded, and couered their heads.
- Because the ground is chapt, for there was no raine in the earth, the plowmen were ashamed, they couered their heads.
- Yea the hinde also calued in the field, and forsooke it, because there was no grasse.
- And the wilde asses did stand in the hie places, they snuffed vp the winde like dragons: their eyes did faile because there was no grasse.
- O Lord, though our iniquities testifie against vs, doe thou it for thy Names sake: for our back-slidings are many, we haue sinned against thee.
- O the hope of Israel, the Sauiour thereof in time of trouble, why shouldest thou be as a stranger in the land, and as a wayfaring man, that turneth aside to tarie for a night?
- Why shouldest thou bee as a man astonied, as a mightie man that cannot saue?
yet thou, O Lord, art in the midst of vs, and we are called by thy Name, leaue vs not.
- Thus saith the Lord vnto this people, Thus haue they loued to wander, they haue not refrained their feete, therefore the Lord doeth not accept them, hee will now remember their iniquitie, and visite their sinnes.
- Then said the Lord vnto mee, Pray not for this people, for their good.
- When they fast I will not heare their crie, and when they offer burnt offering and an oblation I wil not accept them: but I will consume them by the sword, and by the famine, and by the pestilence.
- Then said I Ah Lord God, behold, the prophets say vnto them;
Ye shall not see the sword, neither shall ye haue famine, but I will giue you assured peace in this place.
- Then the Lord said vnto me, The prophets prophecie lies in my Name, I sent them not, neither haue I commanded them, neither spake vnto them: they prophecie vnto you a false vision and diuination, and a thing of nought, and the deceit of their heart.
- Therefore thus saith the Lord concerning the prophets that prophecie in my Name, and I sent them not, yet they say, Sword and famine shall not be in this land, By sword and famine shall those prophets be consumed.
- And the people to whom they prophecie, shall be cast out in the streets of Ierusalem, because of the famine and the sword, and they shall haue none to burie them, them, their wiues, nor their sonnes, nor their daughters: for I will powre their wickednesse vpon them.
- Therefore thou shalt say this word vnto them, Let mine eies runne downe with teares night and day, and let them not cease, for the virgin daughter of my people is broken with a great breach, with a very grieuous blow.
- If I goe forth into the field, then behold the slaine with the sword, and if I enter into the citie, then behold them that are sicke with famine, yea both the prophet and the priest goe about into a land that they know not.
- Hast thou vtterly reiected Iudah?
hath thy soule loathed Zion?
why hast thou smitten vs, and there is no healing for vs?
we looked for peace, and there is no good, and for the time of healing, and behold trouble.
- We acknowledge, O Lord, our wickednes, and the iniquitie of our fathers: for wee haue sinned against thee.
- Do not abhorre vs, for thy Names sake, doe not disgrace the Throne of thy glorie: remember, breake not thy Couenant with vs.
- Are there any among the vanities of the Gentiles that can cause raine?
or can the heauens giue showres, Art not thou he, O Lord our God?
therefore we will waite vpon thee: for thou hast made all these things.