- Runne yee to and fro thorow the streetes of Ierusalem, and see now and knowe, and seeke in the broad places thereof, if ye can finde a man, if there be any that executeth iudgement, that seeketh the trueth, and I will pardon it.
- And though they say, The Lord liueth, surely they sweare falsely.
- O Lord, are not thine eyes vpon the trueth?
Thou hast stricken them, but they haue not grieued;
thou hast consumed them, but they haue refused to receiue correction: they haue made their faces harder then a rocke, they haue refused to returne.
- Therefore I said, Surely these are poore, they are foolish: for they know not the way of the Lord, nor the iudgement of their God.
- I wil get me vnto the great men, and will speake vnto them, for they haue knowen the way of the Lord, and the iudgement of their God: but these haue altogether broken the yoke, and burst the bondes.
- Wherfore a lyon out of the forrest shall slay them, and a wolfe of the euenings shall spoile them, a leopard shall watch ouer their cities: euery one that goeth out thence shalbe torne in pieces, because their transgressions are many, and their backeslidings are increased.
- How shall I pardon thee for this?
Thy children haue forsaken mee, and sworne by them that are no gods: when I had fed them to the full, they then committed adulterie, and assembled themselues by troupes in the harlots houses.
- They were as fed horses in the morning: euery one neighed after his neighbours wife:
- Shall I not visit for these things, sayth the Lord, and shall not my soule bee auenged on such a nation as this?
- Goe yee vp vpon her walles, and destroy, but make not a full ende: take away her battlements, for they are not the Lords.
- For the house of Israel, and the house of Iudah haue dealt very treacherously against me, saith the Lord.
- They haue belyed the Lord, and said;
It is not he, neither shall euill come vpon vs, neither shal we see sword nor famine.
- And the prophets shall become wind, and the word is not in them: thus shall it be done vnto them.
- Wherfore thus saith the Lord God of Hostes;
Because yee speake this word, behold, I will make my words in thy mouth, fire, and this people wood, and it shall deuoure them.
- Loe, I will bring a nation vpon you from farre, O house of Israel, saith the Lord: it is a mighty nation, it is an ancient nation, a nation whose language thou knowest not, neither vnderstandest what they say.
- Their quiuer is as an open sepulchre, they are all mighty men.
- And they shall eate vp thine haruest and thy bread, which thy sonnes and thy daughters should eate: they shall eate vp thy flockes and thine heards: they shall eate vp thy vines and thy figtrees: they shall impouerish thy fenced cities wherein thou trustedst, with the sword.
- Neuerthelesse in those daies, saith the Lord, I will not make a full end with you.
- And it shall come to passe when yee shall say;
Wherefore doth the Lord our God all these things vnto vs?
then shalt thou answere them;
Like as ye haue forsaken me, & serued strange Gods in your land;
so shall yee serue strangers in a land that is not yours.
- Declare this in the house of Iacob, and publish it in Iudah saying;
- Heare now this, O foolish people, and without vnderstanding, which haue eyes and see not, which haue eares and heare not.
- Feare yee not mee, saith the Lord ?
Will yee not tremble at my presence, which haue placed the sand for the bound of the sea, by a perpetuall decree that it cannot passe it, and though the waues thereof tosse themselues, yet can they not preuaile, though they roare, yet can they not passe ouer it?
- But this people hath a reuolting and a rebellious heart: they are reuolted and gone.
- Neither say they in their heart;
Let vs now feare the Lord our God, that giueth raine, both the former and the later in his season: he reserueth vnto vs the appointed weekes of the haruest.
- Your iniquities haue turned away these things, & your sinnes haue withholden good things from you.
- For among my people are found wicked men: they lay waite as hee that setteth snares, they set a trap, they catch men.
- As a cage is full of birds, so are their houses full of deceit: therefore they are become great, and waxen rich.
- They are waxen fat, they shine: yea they ouerpasse the deedes of the wicked: they iudge not the cause, the cause of the fatherlesse, yet they prosper: and the right of the needy doe they not iudge.
- Shall I not visit for these things, saith the Lord ?
shall not my soule be auenged on such a nation as this?
- A wonderfull and horrible thing is committed in the land.
- The prophets prophecie falsely, and the priests beare rule by their meanes, and my people loue to haue it so: and what will yee doe in the end therof?