- The word of the Lord that came to Ioel the sonne of Pethuel.
- Heare this, yee olde men, and giue eare, all yee inhabitants of the lande: Hath this been in your dayes, or euen in the dayes of your fathers?
- Tell ye your children of it, and let your children tell their children, and their children another generation.
- That which the palmer worme hath left, hath the locust eaten;
and that which the locust hath left, hath the canker-worme eaten;
and that which the canker-worme hath left, hath the caterpillar eaten.
- Awake ye drunkards, and weepe, and howle all yee drinkers of wine, because of the new wine, for it is cut off from your mouth.
- For a nation is come vp vpon my lande, strong, and without number, whose teeth are the teeth of a lyon, and he hath the cheeke-teeth of a great lyon.
- He hath laide my vine waste: and barked my figge-tree: hee hath made it cleane bare, and cast it away, the branches thereof are made white.
- Lament like a virgine girded with sackecloth for the husband of her youth.
- The meate offring and the drinke offering is cut off from the house of the Lord, the Priestes the Lords ministers mourne.
- The field is wasted, the lande mourneth;
for the corne is wasted: the new wine is dried vp, the oyle languisheth.
- Be yee ashamed, O yee husbandmen: howle, O yee vine-dressers, for the wheate and for the barley;
because the haruest of the field is perished.
- The vine is dried vp, and the figgetree languisheth, the pomegranate tree, the palme tree also and the apple tree, euen all the trees of the field are withered: because ioy is withered away from the sonnes of men.
- Gird your selues, and lament, yee Priests: howle, ye ministers of the Altar: come, lie all night in sackecloth, ye ministers of my God: for the meat offering and the drinke offering is withholden from the house of your God.
- Sanctifie yee a fast: call a solemne assembly: gather the Elders, and all the inhabitants of the land into the house of the Lord your God, and cry vnto the Lord:
- Alas for the day: for the day of the Lord is at hand, and as a destruction from the Almightie shall it come.
- Is not the meate cut off before your eyes, yea ioy and gladnesse from the house of our God?
- The seede is rotten vnder their clods: the garners are laide desolate: the barnes are broken downe, for the corne is withered.
- How doe the beastes grone?
the heards of cattell are perplexed, because they haue no pasture, yea the flockes of sheepe are made desolate.
- O Lord, to thee will I crie: for the fire hath deuoured the pastures of the wildernesse, and the flame hath burnt all the trees of the field.
- The beasts of the field crie also vnto thee: for the riuers of waters are dried vp, and the fire hath deuoured the pastures of the wildernesse.