- [To the chiefe Musician for the sonnes of Korah.]
- Wee haue heard with our eares, O God, our fathers haue told vs, what worke thou didst in their dayes, in the times of old.
- How thou didst driue out the heathen with thy hand, & plantedst them;
how thou didst afflict the people, and cast them out.
- For they got not the land in possession by their owne sword, neither did their owne arme saue them: but thy right hand, and thine arme, and the light of thy countenance, because thou hadst a fauour vnto them.
- Thou art my King, O God: command deliuerances for Iacob.
- Through thee will wee push downe our enemies: through thy Name will wee tread them vnder that rise vp against vs.
- For I will not trust in my bow, neither shall my sword saue me.
- But thou hast saued vs from our enemies, and hast put them to shame that hated vs.
- In God we boast all the day long: and praise thy Name for euer.
- But thou hast cast off and put vs to shame;
and goest not forth with our armies.
- Thou makest vs to turne backe from the enemie: and they which hate vs, spoile for themselues.
- Thou hast giuen vs like sheepe appointed for meate: and hast scattered vs among the heathen.
- Thou sellest thy people for nought, and doest not increase thy wealth by their price.
- Thou makest vs a reproch to our neighbours, a scorne and a derision to them that are round about vs.
- Thou makest vs a by-word among the heathen: a shaking of the head among the people.
- My confusion is continually before me, and the shame of my face hath couered me.
- For the voice of him that reproacheth, and blasphemeth: by reason of the enemie and auenger.
- All this is come vpon vs;
yet haue wee not forgotten thee, neither haue we dealt falsly in thy couenant.
- Our heart is not turned backe: neither haue our steps declined from thy way,
- Though thou hast sore broken vs in the place of dragons, and couered vs with the shadow of death.
- If wee haue forgotten the name of our God, or stretched out our hands to a strange God:
- Shall not God search this out?
for he knoweth the secrets of the heart.
- Yea for thy sake are wee killed all the day long: wee are counted as sheepe for the slaughter.
- Awake, why sleepest thou, O Lord?
arise, cast vs not off for euer.
- Wherefore hidest thou thy face?
and forgettest our affliction, and our oppression?
- For our soule is bowed downe to the dust;
our belly cleaueth vnto the earth.
- Arise for our helpe, and redeeme vs for thy mercies sake.