- [To the chiefe Musician.
A Psalme of Dauid,
when Nathan the Prophet came vnto him,
after hee had gone in to Bath-sheba.]
- Haue mercie vpon mee, O God, according to thy louing kindnesse: according vnto the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions.
- Wash mee throughly from mine iniquitie, and clense me from my sinne.
- For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sinne is euer before mee.
- Against thee, thee onely haue I sinned, and done this euill in thy sight: that thou mightest bee iustified when thou speakest, and be cleare when thou iudgest.
- Behold, I was shapen in iniquitie: and in sinne did my mother conceiue me.
- Behold, thou desirest trueth in the inward parts: and in the hidden part thou shalt make me to know wisedome.
- Purge me with hyssope, and I shalbe cleane: wash me, and I shall be whiter then snow.
- Make mee to heare ioy and gladnesse: that the bones which thou hast broken, may reioyce.
- Hide thy face from my sinnes;
and blot out all mine iniquities.
- Create in mee a cleane heart, O God;
and renew a right spirit within mee.
- Cast mee not away from thy presence;
and take not thy holy Spirit from me.
- Restore vnto me the ioy of thy saluation: and vphold mee with thy free Spirit.
- Then will I teach transgressours thy wayes, and sinners shalbe conuerted vnto thee.
- Deliuer mee from blood-guiltinesse, O God, thou God of my saluation: and my tongue shall sing alowd of thy righteousnesse.
- O Lord open thou my lips, and my mouth shall shew foorth thy praise.
- For thou desirest not sacrifice: else would I giue it: thou delightest not in burnt offering.
- The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.
- Doe good in thy good pleasure vnto Sion: build thou the walles of Ierusalem.
- Then shalt thou be pleased with the sacrifices of righteousnesse, with burnt offering and whole burnt offering: then shall they offer bullockes vpon thine altar.