- [To the chiefe musician Al-taschith,
Michtam of Dauid:
when Saul sent,
and they watcht the house to kill him.]
- Deliuer me from mine enemies, O my God: defend mee from them that rise vp against me.
- Deliuer mee from the workers of iniquitie, and saue me from bloodie men.
- For loe, they lye in waite for my soule;
the mighty are gathered against me, not for my transgression, nor for my sinne, O Lord.
- They runne and prepare themselues without my fault: awake to helpe me, and behold.
- Thou therefore, O Lord God of hostes, the God of Israel, awake to visite all the heathen: be not mercifull to any wicked transgressours.
- They returne at euening: they make a noise like a dogge, and go round about the citie.
- Behold, they belch out with their mouth: swords are in their lippes;
for who, say they, doeth heare?
- But thou, O Lord, shalt laugh at them;
thou shalt haue all the heathen in derision.
- Because of his strength will I wait vpon thee: for God is my defence.
- The God of my mercy shall preuent me;
God shall let mee see my desire vpon mine enemies.
- Slay them not, lest my people forget: scatter them by thy power;
and bring them downe, O Lord our shield.
- For the sinne of their mouth, and the words of their lips, let them euen be taken in their pride: and for cursing and lying which they speake.
- Consume them in wrath, consume them, that they may not be: and let them know that God ruleth in Iacob, vnto the ends of the earth.
- And at euening let them returne, and let them make a noise like a dogge, and goe round about the citie.
- Let them wander vp and downe for meate, and grudge if they be not satisfied.
- But I will sing of thy power;
yea I will sing alowd of thy mercy in the morning: for thou hast bene my defence and refuge, in the day of my trouble.
- Vnto thee, O my strength, wil I sing: for God is my defence, and the God of my mercy.