- [A Psalme of Asaph.]
- Truely God is good to Israel, euen to such as are of a cleane heart.
- But as for mee, my feete were almost gone: my steps had well-nigh slipt.
- For I was enuious at the foolish, when I sawe the prosperity of the wicked.
- For there are no bands in their death: but their strength is firme.
- They are not in trouble as other men: neither are they plagued like other men.
- Therefore pride compasseth them about as a chaine: violence couereth them as a garment.
- Their eies stand out with fatnes: they haue more then heart could wish.
- They are corrupt, and speake wickedly concerning oppression: they speake loftily.
- They set their mouth against the heauens;
and their tongue walketh through the earth.
- Therefore his people returne hither: and waters of a full cup are wrung out to them.
- And they say, How doth God know?
and is there knowledge in the most High?
- Behold, these are the vngodly: who prosper in the world, they increase in riches.
- Uerily I haue cleansed my heart in vaine, and washed my hands in innocencie.
- For all the day long haue I bene plagued, and chastened euery morning.
- If I say, I will speake thus: behold, I should offend against the generation of thy children.
- When I thought to know this, it was too painfull for me,
- Untill I went into the Sanctuarie of God;
then vnderstood I their end.
- Surely thou didst set them in slippery places: thou castedst them downe into destruction.
- How are they brought into desolation as in a moment?
they are vtterly consumed with terrours.
- As a dreame when one awaketh;
so, O Lord, when thou awakest thou shalt despise their image.
- Thus my heart was greeued, and I was pricked in my reines.
- So foolish was I, and ignorant: I was as a beast before thee.
- Neuerthelesse I am continually with thee: thou hast holden me by my right hand.
- Thou shalt guide me with thy counsell;
and afterward receiue me to glory.
- Whom haue I in heauen but thee?
and there is none vpon earth that I desire besides thee.
- My flesh and my heart faileth: but God is the strength of my heart, and my portion for euer.
- For loe, they that are farre from thee, shall perish: thou hast destroyed all them that goe a whoring from thee.
- But it is good for me, to drawe neere to God: I haue put my trust in the Lord God, that I may declare all thy workes.