- [Maschil of Ethan the Ezrahite.]
- I will sing of the mercies of the Lord for euer: with my mouth will I make knowen thy faithfulnesse to all generations.
- For I haue said, Mercie shall bee built vp for euer: thy faithfulnesse shalt thou establish in the very heauens.
- I haue made a couenant with my chosen: I haue sworne vnto Dauid my seruant.
- Thy seed will I stablish for euer: and build vp thy throne to all generations.
- And the heauens shall praise thy wonders, O Lord: thy faithfulnes also in the congregation of the Saints.
- For who in the heauen can be compared vnto the Lord?
who among the sonnes of the mightie can be likened vnto the Lord?
- God is greatly to be feared in the assembly of the Saints: and to bee had in reuerence of all them that are about him.
- O Lord God of hosts, who is a strong Lord like vnto thee?
or to thy faithfulnesse round about thee?
- Thou rulest the raging of the sea: when the waues thereof arise;
thou stillest them.
- Thou hast broken Rahab in pieces, as one that is slaine: thou hast scattered thine enemies with thy strong arme.
- The heauens are thine, the earth also is thine: as for the world and the fulnes thereof, thou hast founded them.
- The North and the South, thou hast created them: Tabor and Hermon shall reioyce in thy Name.
- Thou hast a mighty arme: strong is thy hand, and high is thy right hand.
- Iustice and iudgement are the habitation of thy throne: mercie and trueth shall goe before thy face.
- Blessed is the people that knowe the ioyfull sound: they shall walke O Lord in the light of thy countenance.
- In thy name shall they reioyce all the day: and in thy righteousnes shall they be exalted.
- For thou art the glory of their strength: and in thy fauour our horne shall be exalted.
- For the Lord is our defence: and the holy One of Israel is our king.
- Then thou spakest in vision to thy holy one, and saidst, I haue laid helpe vpon one that is mightie: I haue exalted one chosen out of the people.
- I haue found Dauid my seruant: with my holy oile haue I anointed him.
- With whome my hand shall bee established: mine arme also shall strengthen him.
- The enemie shall not exact vpon him: nor the sonne of wickednesse afflict him.
- And I will beate downe his foes before his face: and plague them that hate him.
- But my faithfulnesse and my mercy shalbe with him: and in my name shall his horne be exalted.
- I will set his hand also in the sea: and his right hand in the riuers.
- He shall crie vnto mee, Thou art my father: my God, and the rocke of my saluation.
- Also I will make him my first borne: higher then the kings of the earth.
- My mercy will I keepe for him for euermore: and my couenant shall stand fast with him.
- His seed also will I make to indure for euer: and his throne as the dayes of heauen.
- If his children forsake my lawe, and walke not in my iudgements;
- If they breake my statutes, and keepe not my commandements:
- Then will I visite their transgression with the rod, and their iniquitie with stripes.
- Neuerthelesse, my louing kindnesse will I not vtterly take from him: nor suffer my faithfulnesse to faile.
- My couenant will I not breake: nor alter the thing that is gone out of my lippes.
- Once haue I sworne by my holinesse;
that I will not lye vnto Dauid.
- His seede shall endure for euer;
and his throne as the sunne before me.
- It shalbe established for euer as the Moone: and as a faithfull witnesse in heauen.
- But thou hast cast off and abhorred: thou hast bene wroth with thine anointed.
- Thou hast made voyd the couenant of thy seruant: thou hast profaned his crowne, by casting it to the ground.
- Thou hast broken downe all his hedges: thou hast brought his strong holds to ruine.
- All that passe by the way;
spoile him: hee is a reproach to his neighbours.
- Thou hast set vp the right hand of his aduersaries: thou hast made all his enemies to reioyce.
- Thou hast also turned the edge of his sword: and hast not made him to stand in the battaile.
- Thou hast made his glory to cease: and cast his throne downe to the ground.
- The dayes of his youth hast thou shortned: thou hast couered him with shame.
- How long, Lord, wilt thou hide thy selfe, for euer?
shall thy wrath burne like fire?
- Remember how short my time is: wherefore hast thou made all men in vaine?
- What man is he that liueth, and shall not see death?
shall he deliuer his soule from the hand of the graue?
- Lord, where are thy former louing kindnesses, which thou swarest vnto Dauid in thy trueth?
- Remember (Lord) the reproach of thy seruants: how I doe beare in my bosome the reproache of all the mighty people.
- Wherewith thine enemies haue reproached, O Lord: wherewith they haue reproached the foote-steppes of thine Annointed.
- Blessed be the Lord for euermore, Amen, and Amen.