- What aduantage then hath the Iew?
or what profit is there of Circumcision?
- Much euery way: chiefly, because that vnto them were committed the Oracles of God.
- For what if some did not beleeue?
shall their vnbeliefe make the faith of God without effect?
- God forbid: yea, let God be true, but euery man a lier, as it is written, That thou mightest be iustified in thy sayings, and mightest ouercome when thou art iudged.
- But if our vnrighteousnesse commend the righteousnesse of God, what shall we say?
is God vnrighteous who taketh vengeance?
(I speake as a man)
- God forbid: for then how shall God iudge the world?
- For if the trueth of God hath more abounded through my lye vnto his glory;
why yet am I also iudged as a sinner?
- And not rather as wee be slanderously reported, and as some affirme that we say, Let vs doe euill, that good may come: whose damnation is iust.
- What then?
are wee better then they?
No in no wise: for we haue before proued both Iewes, and Gentiles, that they are all vnder sinne,
- As it is written, There is none righteous, no not one:
- There is none that vnderstandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.
- They are all gone out of the way, they are together become vnprofitable, there is none that doeth good, no not one.
- Their throat is an open sepulchre, with their tongues they haue vsed deceit, the poyson of Aspes is vnder their lippes:
- Whose mouth is full of cursing and bitternesse:
- Their feet are swift to shed blood.
- Destruction & misery are in their wayes:
- And the way of peace haue they not knowen.
- There is no feare of God before their eyes.
- Now we know that what things soeuer the Law saith, it saith to them who are vnder the Law: that euery mouth may bee stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God.
- Therefore by the deedes of the Law, there shall no flesh be iustified in his sight: for by the Law is the knowledge of sinne.
- But nowe the righteousnesse of God without the Lawe is manifested, being witnessed by the Lawe and the Prophets.
- Euen the righteousnesse of God, which is by faith of Iesus Christ vnto all, and vpon all them that beleeue: for there is no difference:
- For all haue sinned, and come short of the glory of God,
- Being iustified freely by his grace, through the redemption that is in Iesus Christ:
- Whom God hath set forth to bee a propitiation, through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousnesse for the remission of sinnes, that are past, through the forbearance of God.
- To declare, I say, at this time his righteousnesse: that hee might bee iust, and the iustifier of him which beleeueth in Iesus.
- Where is boasting then?
It is excluded.
By what Law?
Nay: but by the Law of faith.
- Therefore wee conclude, that a man is iustified by faith, without the deeds of the Law.
- Is he the God of the Iewes only?
Is he not also of the Gentiles?
Yes, of the Gentiles also:
- Seeing it is one God which shal iustifie the circumcision by faith, and vncircumcision through faith.
- Doe we then make void the lawe through faith?
God forbid: yea, we establish the Law.