- To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David.
- O LORD, thou hast searched me, and known me.
- Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising, thou understandest my thought afar off.
- Thou compassest my path and my lying down, and art acquainted with all my ways.
- For there is not a word in my tongue, but, lo, O LORD, thou knowest it altogether.
- Thou hast beset me behind and before, and laid thine hand upon me.
- Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;
it is high, I cannot attain unto it.
- Whither shall I go from thy spirit?
or whither shall I flee from thy presence?
- If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.
- If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea;
- Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.
- If I say, Surely the darkness shall cover me;
even the night shall be light about me.
- Yea, the darkness hideth not from thee;
but the night shineth as the day: the darkness and the light are both alike to thee.
- For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother’s womb.
- I will praise thee;
for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works;
and that my soul knoweth right well.
- My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.
- Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect;
and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them.
- How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, O God!
how great is the sum of them!
- If I should count them, they are more in number than the sand: when I awake, I am still with thee.
- Surely thou wilt slay the wicked, O God: depart from me therefore, ye bloody men.
- For they speak against thee wickedly, and thine enemies take thy name in vain.
- Do not I hate them, O LORD, that hate thee?
and am not I grieved with those that rise up against thee?
- I hate them with perfect hatred: I count them mine enemies.
- Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts:
- And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.