- ¶ NOW Hiram king of Tyre sent messengers to David, and timber of cedars, with masons and carpenters, to build a house for him.
- And David perceived that the LORD had chosen him to be king over Israel, for his kingdom was exalted because of his people Israel.
- And David took more wives in Jerusalem, after he had come from Hebron, and there were born to him more sons and daughters.
- Now these are the names of the children who were born to him in Jerusalem: Shammua, Shocob, Nathan, and Solomon.
- Ibhar, Elisha, Eliphalet.
- Nogah, Nepheg, and Naphia,
- And Elishama, Eliada, and Eliphalet.
- ¶ And when the Philistines heard that David was anointed king over all Israel, all the Philistines went up to seek David.
And David heard of it, and went out against them.
- And the Philistines came and encamped in the valley of giants.
- And David inquired of the LORD, saying, Shall I go up against the Philistines?
And wilt thou deliver them into my hands?
And the LORD said to him, Go up;
for I will deliver them into your hands.
- So they came up to the valley of Toretha, and David smote them there.
Then David said.
The LORD has broken in upon my enemies before me like the breaking forth of waters;
therefore they called the name of that place the valley of Toretha.
- And when they had left their idols there, David gave a commandment to his mighty men, saying.
Burn them with fire and scatter their ashes to the wind.
- And the Philistines came up again and encamped in the valley of giants.
- Therefore David inquired again of God;
and God said to him, You shall not go up after them;
but turn away from them, and go attack them from the front.
- And it shall be, when you hear the sound of howling in the top of the mountain, then you shall go out to battle;
for the LORD has gone forth before you to smite the army of the Philistines.
- And David therefore did as the LORD commanded him;
and they smote the army of the Philistines from Gibeon even to Gadar.
- And the fame of David went out into all lands;
and the LORD brought the fear of him upon all the nations.