- ¶ AND after these things it came to pass that David smote the Philistines and destroyed them, and took the power from the hand of the Philistines, and took Gath and the small villages that were round about it out of the hand of the Philistines.
- And he smote Moab;
and the Moabites became David’s servants and brought tribute.
- Then David slew Hadarezer the king of Nisibin, as he went to establish his dominion by the river Euphrates.
- And David took from him a thousand chariots and seven thousand horsemen, and David hamstrung all the chariot horses, but reserved of them a hundred chariots.
- And when the Edomites and the Arameans of Damascus came to help Hadarezer king of Nisibin, David slew of the Edomites twenty-two thousand men.
- Then David appointed governors in Damascus, and the Arameans became David’s servants and brought tribute.
Thus the LORD preserved David wheresoever he went.
- And David took the shields of gold that were hanging on the horses of the servants of Hadarezer, and brought them to Jerusalem.
- Likewise from Tibhath and from Berothi, cities of Hadarezer, David took very much brass, wherewith Solomon made the bronze sea and the pillars of brass and the oxen of brass and the vessels of brass in abundance.
- ¶ Now Pul, king of Hamath, heard that David had smitten the whole army of Hadarezer, king of Nisibin;
- And he sent Jehoram his son to David to inquire of his welfare and to congratulate him because he had fought against Hadarezer and killed him (for Hadarezer was a valiant warrior) and Jehoram had with him all manner of vessels of gold and silver and brass.
- Some of these also King David dedicated to the LORD, together with the silver and the gold that he had captured from all the nations which he had subdued: from the Edomites, from the Moabites, from the children of Ammon, from the Philistines, and from the Amalekites.
- Moreover Abishai the son of Zuriah brother of Joab slew the Edomites in the valley of salt, eighteen thousand men.
- And David appointed governors over the Edomites, and all the Edomites became David’s servants.
Thus the LORD preserved David wherever he went.
- So David reigned over all Israel and executed justice and righteousness to all the people.
- And Joab the son of Zuriah was over all the army;
and Jehoshaphat the son of Ahilud was recorder.
- And Zadok the son of Ahitub and Ahimelek the son of Abiathar were the priests;
and Seriah was scribe;
- And Benaiah the son of Jehoiadah was over the archers and the slingers;
and the sons of David were princes of the realm.