- ¶ WHEN David was old and full of days, he made Solomon his son king over Israel.
- And he gathered together all the elders of the priests and the Levites.
- Now the Levites were numbered from the age of thirty years and upward;
and their number by their polls, man by man, was thirty-eight thousand.
- Of them David appointed overseers over the work of the house of the LORD, twenty-four men over every thousand workers;
and judges and scribes, six men over each hundred workers
- To look after the building, to carry on their work, to oversee the resources and the work, and to give an accounting of wealth and the alms which they had distributed to the poor.
- And David appointed administrators and managers over the poor and needy, to provide and distribute to the poor;
one person over each ten, and they lacked nothing.
And David appointed them all in their courses according to the sons of Levi;
namely, Gershon, Kohath, and Merari.
- Of the Gershonites were Ladan and Shimei.
- The sons of Ladan: his first-born was Nahliel, and then Jotham and Joel, three.
- And the sons of Shimei: Shelomoth, Haziel, and Aran, three.
These were the chiefs of the fathers of Shimei.
- And the sons of Shimei were, Nahat, Zabda, Jeush, and Beriah.
These were the four sons of Shimei
- And Nahat was his first-born, Zabda the second;
but Jeush and Beriah did not have many sons;
therefore they were included in their father’s family as one.
- The sons of Kohath: Amram, Izhar, Hebron, and Uzziel, four.
- The sons of Amram: Aaron and Moses;
and Aaron was chosen to minister in the Holy of Holies, he and his sons for ever, to burn incense before the LORD, to minister to him, and to bless in his name for ever.
- Now as for Moses the prophet of God, his sons were named among the tribe of Levi.
- The sons of Moses were Gershon and Eliezer.
- The son of Gershon was Samuel his first-born.
- And the son of Eliezer was Arhimah his first-born.
And Eliezer had no other sons;
but the son of Arhimah was Ribbi his first-born.
- And the son of Izhar was Shelomith his first-born.
- The sons of Hebron: Joda his first-born, Amariah the second, Nahzaiel the third, and Nakmaiel the fourth.
- The sons of Uzziel: Micah his first-born and Shoh the second.
- The sons of Merari: Mahli and Mushi.
The sons of Mahli: Eleazar and Kish.
- And Eleazar died, and had no sons, but daughters;
and the sons of their uncle Kish took them for wives in marriage.
- The sons of Mushi: Mahli, Eder, and Jeremoth, three.
- ¶ These were the sons of Levi after the house of their fathers, even the chiefs of the fathers, as they were counted by number of names by their polls, who were overseers over the work for the service of the house of the LORD, from the age of twenty years and upward.
- For David said, The LORD God of Israel has given rest to his people, and he dwells in Jerusalem for ever;
- And he also said to the Levites that they should carry the tabernacle and all the vessels for the service thereof.
- For by the last words of David the Levites were numbered from twenty years old and upward,
- Because he appointed them to the office to help the sons of Aaron to be overseers in the house of the LORD, over those who sound with straight and curved trumpets, and over the chambers in which the holy vessels of the LORD were stored;
- And over the shewbread and the fine flour for meal offering and the unleavened cakes and over all those who sing and offer thanks,
- And that they might arise every morning to thank and praise the LORD, and likewise at evening,
- And to offer burnt offerings to the LORD on the sabbaths, in the new moons, and on the days of set feasts, by number, according to the order commanded to them, continually before the LORD,
- And that they should have charge of the vessels of the tabernacle of the congregation and charge of the vessels of the sanctuary and charge of the sons of Aaron their brethren when they were needed to minister in the house of the LORD.