- ¶ NOW these are the divisions of the sons of Aaron.
The sons of Aaron were Nadab and Abihu, Eleazar and Ithamar.
- But Nadab and Abihu died during the lifetime of their father Aaron, and had no children;
therefore Eleazar and Ithamar executed the priest’s office.
- And David divided them, both Zadok of the sons of Eleazar and Ahimelech of the sons of Ithamar, according to their offices in their service.
- And there were more chief men found of the sons of Eleazar than of the sons of Ithamar;
and thus he divided them.
Among the sons of Eleazar there were sixteen chief men of the house of their fathers and eight of the sons of Ithamar, according to the house of their fathers.
- Thus he divided them by lot, both families alike;
for they were chief priests of the sanctuary and authorities over the priests, both of the sons of Eleazar and of the sons of Ithamar.
- And Shemaiah the son of Nethaniel the scribe, one of the Levites, recorded them before King David and the elders of Israel and Zadok the priest and Ahimelech the son of Abiathar and before the chiefs of the fathers of the priests and of the Levites, one principal family being taken for Eleazar and one taken for Ithamar.
- Now the first lot fell to Jehoiadah, the second to Jedaiah,
- The third to Haram, the fourth to Seorim,
- The fifth to Malchijah, the sixth to Mijamin,
- The seventh to Akkoz, the eighth to Abijah,
- The ninth to Elishah, the tenth to Shecaniah,
- The eleventh to Eliashib, the twelfth to Elikrab,
- The thirteenth to Huppah, the fourteenth to Ahaziah,
- The fifteenth to Baglah, the sixteenth to Immer,
- The seventeenth to Ahaziah, the eighteenth to Pazin,
- The nineteenth to Pethahiah, the twentieth to Ezekiel,
- The twenty-first to Jachin, the twenty-second to Gamul,
- The twenty-third to Delaiah, and the twenty-fourth to Maadiah.
- These are their numbers according to their service, to come into the house of the LORD, according to their ordinances, as prescribed for them by the counsel of Aaron their father, as the LORD God of Israel had commanded him.
- ¶ And the rest of the sons of Levi were these: of the sons of Amram, Shubael;
of the sons of Shubael, Jehdeiah and Rehabiah.
- Of the sons of Rehabiah: his first-born was Jeshua, then
- Zahor and Salmoth.
Of the sons of Salmoth: Nahath,
- Jeremiah, Hezaiel, and Neshamim.
- Of the sons of Uzziel: Michah;
of the sons of Michah: Shamir and Jeshua.
- Of the sons of Jeshua: Zechariah.
- The sons of Merari were Mahli and Mushi;
the son of Jaaziah, Beno.
- The sons of Merari by Jaaziah: Beno and Shoham and Zaccur and Ibri.
- Of Mahli came Eleazar, who had no sons.
- Of Kish: the son of Kish was Jerahmeel.
- The sons also of Mushi: Mahli and Eder and Jerimoth.
These were the sons of the Levites, after the house of their fathers.
- These likewise cast lots over against their brethren the sons of Aaron in the presence of David the king, and Zadok and Ahimelech, and the chief of the fathers of the priests and Levites, even the principal fathers, over against their younger brethren.