- ¶ MOREOVER David the king said to all the assemblies of Israel, This Solomon my son is still a small boy, and yet the LORD has chosen him out of all my sons, because he is wise and has understanding, and this work which is given to him is not small, but it is great;
for such a task has never been given to any man;
now therefore be strong and of good courage, because the work belongs to the LORD our God.
- Now I have provided with all my might and with all my wealth everything which is necessary for the house of the LORD my God: the gold for things to be made of gold, the silver for things of silver, the brass for things of brass, the iron for things of iron, and wood for things of wood;
and cedars for things of cedar;
precious stones and pearls.
- Moreover, everything which is necessary for the house I have provided of my own sacrifices;
I have also provided money for the expenses of the house of my God of my own sacrifices;
- One million talents of gold, of fine gold, and two million talents of silver, to overlay the walls of the house:
- The gold for things of gold, and the silver for things of silver, and for all manner of work to be made by craftsmen, so that the work may be completed in its month, and that no work should be left undone, but be finished in its due time, according to the expenses thereof.
- Then the chiefs of the fathers and the princes of the tribes of Israel and the commanders of thousands and of hundreds and the overseers of the king’s work gathered together
- And gave for the service of the house of the LORD five thousand gold talents and fine tin for the pipes two hundred thousand talents and silver twenty thousand talents and of Corinthian brass seventy thousand talents and one hundred thousand talents of iron.
- Moreover they gave silver and gold, offering them willingly to the treasury of the house of the LORD by the hand of Gershon the treasurer.
- Then all the people of Israel rejoiced in all these gifts because David offered them with perfect heart willingly before the LORD;
and David also rejoiced with great joy.
Therefore David sang great praises to the LORD.
- ¶ Wherefore David blessed the LORD before all the assemblies of Israel: and David said.
Blessed be thou, O LORD God of Israel our father, for ever and ever.
- For thine, O LORD, is the greatness and the power and the glory and the beauty and the majesty and the honor;
for thou art the ruler over all that is in the heaven and on the earth;
thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and the wisdom and the might and the knowledge.
- Both riches and honor come of thee, and thou rulest over all;
and in thy hand is power and might;
and in thy hand is to make great and to give strength to all creations which thou hast created.
- Even now, O LORD our God, we thank thee and praise thy glorious name.
- But who am I and what is my people, because all my teachers have taught me that thy way of life has helped us, and thou art our hope, O LORD our God.
- For we are like the proverb of vapor and of the potter, and we are sojourners before thee and a small people in the world, but thou didst rule over our fathers of old, and thou didst command them by which way they should walk and live.
- And to thee we offer praise, O LORD our God, that thou mightest save us from all those who harm us, for the nations reproach us, saying, Where is your God, whom you serve?
- I know also, my God, that thou triest the heart, and hast pleasure in uprightness.
As for me, in the uprightness of my heart I have sung all these praises;
and now I have seen that thy people who are present here praise thee with a great joy, saying,
- O LORD God of Abraham, Isaac, and of Israel, our fathers kept all these things which thou hast promised us for ever, and now turn away our heart from evil, that we may not sin before thee, and prepare our hearts to worship thee.
- And I David answered and said thus: O LORD my God, give to Solomon my son a perfect heart, to keep thy commandments, thy testimonies, and thy statutes, and to do all these things which I have commanded, and to build the temple for which I have made provision;
for thy great name will be hallowed and praised in the world which thou hast created, in the presence of those who worship thee.
- Then David said to all the people of Israel, Now bless the LORD your God.
And all the people blessed the LORD God of their fathers, and bowed down and worshipped the LORD, and they also blessed King David.
- And they offered sacrifices to the LORD and offered burnt offerings to the LORD, and on the next day they sacrificed a thousand bullocks and a thousand rams and a thousand lambs, with their drink offerings, and sacrificed in abundance for all Israel;
- And they did eat and drink before the LORD on that day with great gladness.
And they made Solomon the son of David king, and appointed Zadok to be the priest.
- ¶ Then Solomon sat on the throne of the kingdom of the LORD as king instead of David his father, and prospered;
and all Israel obeyed him.
- And all the mighty men and all the sons of King David submitted themselves to Solomon his son.
- And the LORD magnified Solomon exceedingly in the sight of all Israel, and bestowed upon him such royal majesty as had not been on any king of Israel who had been before him.
- Thus David the son of Jesse made Solomon his son king over all Israel.
- Now the time that David reigned over all Israel was forty years;
he reigned seven years in Hebron and thirty-three years he reigned in Jerusalem, over all Israel and Judah.
- And David the son of Jesse died in a good old age, full of days and great in worldly riches and honor;
and Solomon his son reigned in his stead.
- Now the acts of David the king from first to last, behold, they are written in the book of Samuel the prophet and in the book of Nathan the prophet and in the book of Gad the prophet,
- With all his reign and his might and the times that passed over him and over Israel and over all the kingdoms of the countries.
David did that which was good in the presence of the LORD, and he transgressed not against anything that he commanded him all the days of his life.