- ¶ SO all Israel and Judah were considered wicked, for they were carried captive to Babylon because of their wickedness.
- Now the first inhabitants who dwelt in their possessions in their cities were the Israelites, the priests, the Levites, and the proselytes.
- And in Jerusalem dwelt some of the children of Judah and of the children of Benjamin and of the children of Ephraim and of Manasseh:
- Zori the son of Ammihud, the son of Omri, the son of Imri, the son of Benjamin, of the descendants of Pharez the son of Judah.
- And of the land of the Shilonites: Asaiah the first-born, and Bezaiah his brother.
- And of the descendants of Zerah: Jeuel, and their brethren, six hundred and ninety.
- And of the descendants of Benjamin: Sallu the son of Meshullam, the son of Hodiah, the son of Jahbanah,
- And Jocaniah the son of Jeroham.
These were the descendants of Uzzi the son of Machir and Meshullam the son of Reuel, the son of Jocaniah;
- And their brethren, according to their generations, nine hundred and ninety-nine.
All these were valiant men, captains over hundreds according to their fathers’ houses.
- And of the priests: Jonadab, Jodaiah, and Zachim,
- And Azariah the son of Hilkiah, the son of Meshullam, the son of Zadok, the son of Maro, the son of Ahitub, whose house was situated opposite the house of the LORD.
- And Azariah the son of Jeroham, the son of Pashur, the son of Malchijah, and Mansai the son of Adiel, the son of Johanan, the son of Meshullam, the son of Meshraoth, the son of Immer;
- And their brethren, heads of the house of their fathers, one thousand seven hundred and sixty;
very able men for the work of the service of the house of the LORD.
- ¶ And of the Levites: Shemaiah the son of Hashum, the son of Azrikam, the son of Hashabiah,
- Of the descendants of Merari: Jarhum the son of Hadush, the son of Alal, and Mattaniah the son of Micah, the son of Zabdai, the son of Asaph;
- And Obadiah the son of Shemaiah, the son of Cala, the son of Jerithun;
and Berechiah the son of Asaph, the son of Hilkanah, who dwelt in Ramtha.
- And the porters were Shallum, Jacob, Talan, Hamnon, Ahihom, and Shallum,
- Who hitherto waited in the king’s gate eastward;
they were the porters in the companies of the descendants of Levi.
- And Shallum the son of Kora, the son of Akhsiph, the son of Korah, and his brethren and the members of his father’s house were over the work and over the keepers of the gates of the tabernacle;
and their fathers, who were over the host, were the keepers of the exit and of the entrance.
- And Phinehas the son of Eleazar was ruler over them in time past, and the LORD was with him.
- And Zechariah the son of Meshallum was porter of the door of the tabernacle of the congregation.
- All those who were chosen to be porters in the gates were two hundred and twelve.
These were reckoned by their genealogy, whom David and Samuel the prophet appointed to their set office.
- For they appointed them and their sons to keep the gates of the house of the LORD and the house of the tabernacle of the congregation, as guards.
- The gates were open toward the four directions, toward the east, west, north, and south.
- And their brethren who kept the watch in their generation did not enter into the temple except once every seven days from time to time,
- For these Levites were in their set office, and were in charge of the four gates in the four directions;
and stood on guard, and were over the work and over the treasuries of the house of the LORD.
- And they lodged round about the house of the LORD, because upon them was the duty of guarding the gates.
- And certain of them had charge of inspecting all the vessels of service, which were counted every morning when they were brought in and when they were taken out.
- And some of the Levites were appointed over the vessels and over all the instruments of the sanctuary, over the altar and the vessels, the wine, the oil, the frankincense, and the pure spices.
- And some of the sons of the priests prepared the incense for the censers, and the gifts were given by the Levites.
- And Mattithiah, one of the Levites, who was the first-born of Shallum, was intrusted with the office of the mysterious rites.
- And also some of the descendants of Kohath were over their brethren and over the shewbread, to prepare the meal every sabbath.
- And these are the ministers, chiefs of the fathers of the Levites, who kept the watch in the chambers round about the temple, because they were over the work day and night.
- These were chiefs of the fathers of the Levites, according to their generations;
and these dwelt in Jerusalem.
- ¶ And in Gibeon dwelt the father of Gibeon, and the name of his first-born son was Joel, and the name of his wife was Maachah;
- And his second son was Abron;
then Zur, Kishon, Baal, Ner, and Nadab,
- And Gedor, Ahiah, Zechariah, and Mikloth.
- And Mikloth begat Shimaez.
And they also dwelt with their brethren in Jerusalem, opposite their brethren.
- And Ner begat Kish;
and Kish begat Saul;
and Saul begat Jonathan and Malchishua and Jeshui and Ashbashul.
- And Jeshui had a son, whose name was Merib-baal: and Merib-baal begat Micah.
- And the sons of Micah were Pithon, Melech, and Ahaz.
- And Ahaz begat Jezaniah;
and Jezaniah begat Alemoth;
and Alemoth begat Zimri;
and Zimri begat Moza;
- And Moza begat Canaaniah;
and Rephaiah his son, Azel his son, and Eleasah his son.
- And Azel had six sons, whose names are these: Uzzi his first-born, Kim his second, Ashmah, Shadiah, Obadiah, and Hanan.
These were the sons of Azel.