- ¶ TAKE example by me, even as I also follow Christ.
- Now I praise you, my brethren, that you remember me in all things and keep the ordinances as I delivered them to you.
- But I would have you know that the head of every man is Christ;
and the head of the wife is her husband;
and the head of Christ is God.
- Every man who prays or prophesies with his head covered dishonors his head.
- And every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head;
for she is equal to her whose head is shaven.
- For if a woman does not cover her head, let her also cut off her hair;
but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her cover her head.
- For a man indeed ought not cover his head, because he is the image and glory of God;
but the woman is the glory of the man.
- For the man was not created from the woman;
but the woman was created from the man.
- Neither was the man created for the woman;
but the woman for the man.
- For this reason the woman ought to be modest and cover her head as a mark of respect to the angels.
- Nevertheless, in our Lord there is no preference between man and woman, neither between woman and man.
- For as the woman is of the man, even so is the man also by the woman;
but all things of God.
- Judge for yourselves;
is it comely for a woman to pray to God with uncovered head?
- Does not even nature itself teach you that if a man have long hair, it is a disgrace to him?
- But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her;
for her hair is given her for a covering.
- But if any man dispute these things, we have no precedent, neither has the church of God.
- ¶ Now I give you these commands, not to praise you, for you have not made progress but have become worse.
- First of all, when you gather in the church, I hear that there are divisions among you;
and I partly believe it.
- For controversies are bound to be among you, that those who are approved may be made manifest among you.
- When you gather together therefore, you do not eat and drink as is appropriate on the day of our Lord.
- But some men eat their supper before others;
and so it happens that one is hungry and another is drunken.
Have you not houses to eat and drink in?
Or do you not respect the church of God, and want to shame those who have nothing?
What shall I say to you?
Shall I praise you?
No, for this, I cannot praise you.
- ¶ For I myself received from our Lord that which I also delivered to you, That our Lord Jesus on that very night in which he was betrayed took bread;
- And when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, Take, eat;
this is my body, which is broken for you;
this do in remembrance of me.
- Likewise after supper, he gave also the cup and said, This cup is the new testament in my blood;
do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me.
- For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you commemorate our Lord’s death until his coming.
- Therefore whosoever shall eat of the Lord’s bread and drink of his cup unworthily shall be guilty of the blood and body of the Lord.
- For this reason, let a man examine himself and eat of this bread and drink of this cup.
- For he who eats and drinks unworthily eats and drinks to his condemnation;
for he does not discern the Lord’s body.
- This is the reason many are sick and weak among you, and many are dying.
- For if we would judge ourselves, we would not be judged.
- But when we are judged by our Lord, we are simply chastened, so that we may not be condemned with the world.
- Hereafter, my brethren, when you come together to eat, wait for one another.
- And if any man hunger, let him eat at home so that you may not come together unto condemnation.
As to the rest of the things I will instruct you when I come.