- ¶ MY beloved, do not believe every prophecy, but examine the prophecies to find out if they are of God, because many false prophets have appeared in the world.
- The Spirit of God is known by this: Every prophecy which declares that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is from God.
- And every prophecy which does not declare that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is not from God, but it is the prophecy of the false christ, of whose coming you have heard and who is even now already in the world.
- ¶ But you are of God, my children, and have overcome them, because he who is among you is greater than he who is in the world.
- They are of the world;
therefore they speak of the world, and the world hears them.
- But we are of God;
he who knows God hears us;
he who is not of God does not hear us.
By this we know the spirit of truth and the spirit of error.
- ¶ My beloved, let us love one another;
for love is from God;
and every one who loves is born of God and knows God.
- He who does not love does not know God;
for God is love.
- By this was the love of God toward us made known, for God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him.
- Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that God loved us and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.
- My beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another.
- No man has seen God at any time.
If we love one another, God abides in us, and his love is perfected in us;
- Hereby we know that we abide in him and he in us, because he has given us of his Spirit.
- ¶ And we have seen and do testify that the Father sent his Son to be the Saviour of the world.
- Whoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God abides in him and he in God.
- And we have believed and have known the love that God has for us.
God is love;
and he who dwells in love abides in God.
- ¶ Herein is his love made perfect in us, so that we may have boldness in the day of judgment;
because as he is, so are we in this world.
- There is no fear in love;
but perfect love casts out fear, because fear is tormenting.
He who fears is not made perfect in love.
- We love God because he first loved us.
- If a man says, I love God, and yet hates his brother, he is a liar;
for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen, how can he love God whom he has not seen?
- And this commandment we have received from him, That he who loves God ought to love his brother also.