- ¶ WHOEVER believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God;
and everyone who loves him who begot, loves him also who is begotten of him.
- And by this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and keep his commandments.
- For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments;
and his commandments are not difficult,
- For whoever is born of God triumphs over the world;
and this is the victory which conquers the world, even our faith,
- Who is he who triumphs over the world but he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?
- ¶ This is he who came by water and blood, even Jesus Christ, not by water only, but by water and blood.
- And the Spirit testifies that that very Spirit is the truth,
- And there are three to bear witness, the Spirit and the water and the blood;
and these three are one.
- If we accept the testimony of men, how much greater is the testimony of God;
for this is the testimony of God which he has testified of his Son.
- ¶ He who believes in the Son of God has this testimony in himself;
he who does not believe God, has made him a liar;
because he does not believe the testimony that God gave of his Son.
- And this is the testimony, that God has given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.
- He who believes in the Son has life;
he who does not believe in the Son of God does not have life.
- These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life.
- ¶ And this is the confidence that we have in him, that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us;
- For if we beseech him to hear us concerning the things that we ask of him, we are assured that we have already received from him those things that we desire.
- If any man sees his brother commit a sin which is not worthy of death, let him ask and life will be granted him, if he has not committed a sin worthy of death.
There is a sin worthy of death;
I do not say that anyone shall pray for it.
- All unrighteousness is sin;
but there is a sin which is not worthy of death.
- ¶ We know that everyone who is born of God does not sin;
for he who is born of God guards himself, and the evil one does not come near him.
- And we know that we are of God, and the whole world lies in wickedness.
- And we know that the Son of God has come and has given us an understanding, that we may know him who is true;
and we are in him who is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ.
This is the true God and eternal life.
- My children, keep yourselves from idols.