- ¶ AT that time Abijah the son of Jeroboam fell sick.
- And Jeroboam said to his wife, Arise and disguise yourself, that people may not know that you are the wife of Jeroboam;
and go to Shiloh;
behold, Ahijah the prophet is there, who told me that I should be king over this people.
- And take with you ten loaves of bread and dried fruits and a pot of honey, and go to him;
he shall tell you what shall become of the child.
- And Jeroboam’s wife did so, and arose and went to Shiloh, and came to the house of Ahijah.
But Ahijah could not see;
for his eyes were dim because of his age.
- And the LORD said to Ahijah, Behold, the wife of Jeroboam is coming to you, to ask word of you concerning her son, for he is sick;
thus and thus shall you say to her;
for it shall be, when she comes in, behold, she has disguised herself.
- And when Ahijah heard the sound of her feet, as she came in at the door, he said, Come in, wife of Jeroboam;
why do you disguise yourself?
For I am sent to you with heavy tidings.
- ¶ Go, tell Jeroboam, Thus says the LORD God of Israel: Forasmuch as I exalted you from among the people and made you ruler over my people Israel,
- And tore the kingdom away from the house of David and gave it to you;
and yet you have not been like my servant David, who kept my commandments and followed me with all his heart, to do that only which was right in my sight;
- But you have done more evil than all who were before you;
for you have gone and made for yourself molten gods, to provoke me to anger, and have cast me behind your back;
- Therefore, behold, I will bring evil upon the house of Jeroboam, and will cut off from Jeroboam every, male and him that possesses authority in Israel, and I will glean after the house of Jeroboam as they glean the vines of the vineyard when the gathering of the grapes is over.
- Him that dies of Jeroboam in the city shall the dogs eat;
and him that dies in the field shall the fowls of the air eat;
for the LORD has spoken it.
- Arise therefore, go to your own house;
and when your feet enter into the city, the child shall die.
- And all Israel shall mourn for him and bury him;
for he only of Jeroboam shall come to the grave, because in him there is found some good thing in the sight of the LORD God of Israel in the house of Jeroboam.
- Moreover the LORD shall raise up for himself a king over Israel who shall cut off the house of Jeroboam from that day.
- And henceforth the LORD shall smite Israel as a reed is shaken by the wind, and he shall uproot Israel out of this good land which he gave to their fathers, and shall scatter them beyond the river (Euphrates), because they have made for themselves idols and have provoked the LORD to anger.
- And he shall deliver Israel up because of the sins of Jeroboam, who did sin and caused Israel to sin.
- Then Jeroboam’s wife arose and departed and came to Tirzah;
and when she came to the threshold of her house, the child died;
- And all Israel mourned over him, and buried him, according to the word of the LORD which he spoke by his servant Ahijah the prophet, the Shilonite.
- And the rest of the acts of Jeroboam, how he warred and how he reigned, behold, they are written in the Book of the Chronicles of the Kings of Israel.
- And the days which Jeroboam reigned over Israel were twenty-two years;
and Jeroboam slept with his fathers, and Nadab his son reigned in his stead.
- ¶ And Rehoboam the son of Solomon reigned over Judah.
Rehoboam was forty-one years old when he began to reign, and he reigned seventeen years in Jerusalem, the city which the LORD did choose out of all the tribes of Israel, to put his name there.
And his mother’s name was Naamah, an Ammonitess.
- And Judah did evil in the sight of the LORD, and they provoked him to indignation in everything that their fathers had done and in their sins which they had committed.
- For they also built for themselves high places and statues and idols on every high hill and under every green tree.
- And there were also Sodomites in the land;
and they did according to all the abominations of the nations which the LORD had destroyed before the children of Israel.
- And it came to pass in the fifth year of King Rehoboam, Shishak king of Egypt came up against Jerusalem;
- And he took away the treasures of the house of the LORD and the treasures of the king’s house;
he even took away all the shields of gold which Solomon had made.
- And King Rehoboam made in their stead shields of brass, and committed them into the hands of the chiefs of the guard who kept the door of the king’s house.
- And it was so, when the king went into the house of the LORD, the guards bore them and brought them back into the guard chamber.
- Now the rest of the acts of Rehoboam and all that he did, behold, they are written in the Book of the Chronicles of the Kings of Judah.
- And there was war between Rehoboam and Jeroboam all their days.
- And Rehoboam slept with his fathers and was buried in the city of David.
And Abijah his son reigned in his stead.