- ¶ THEN the word of the LORD came to Jehu the son of Hanan against Baasha, saying,
- Thus says the LORD: Forasmuch as I have exalted you out of the dust and made you a ruler over my people Israel and you have walked in the ways of Jeroboam and have made my people Israel to sin to provoke me to anger with the evil work of their hands;
- Behold, I will pluck out one by one the posterity of Baasha and the posterity of his house, and I will make his house like the house of Jeroboam the son of Nebat.
- Him that dies of Baasha in the city shall the dogs eat;
and him that dies in the fields shall the fowls of the air eat.
- Now the rest of the acts of Baasha, and all that he did and all his might, behold, they are written in the Book of the Chronicles of the Kings of Israel.
- So Baasha slept with his fathers and was buried in Tirzah;
and Elah his son reigned in his stead.
- And also by the prophet Jehu the son of Hanan the word of the LORD came against Baasha and against all his house, because of all the evil that he had done before the LORD, in provoking him to anger with the works of his hands, in being like the house of Jeroboam, and because he killed him.
- In the twenty-sixth year of Asa king of Judah, Elah the son of Baasha began to reign over Israel in Tirzah, two years.
- And his servant Zimri, commander of the half of the horsemen, conspired against him as he was in Tirzah, drinking old wine in the house of cedar which he had built in Tirzah.
- And Zimri went in and smote him and killed him, in the twenty-seventh year of Asa king of Judah, and reigned in his stead.
- And when he began to reign, as soon as he sat on his throne, he slew all the house of Baasha;
he left him not one male child, neither of his kinsfolks nor of his friends.
- Thus Zimri destroyed all the house of Baasha, according to the word of the LORD which he spoke against Baasha by Jehu the prophet
- For all the sins of Baasha and the sins of Elah his son which they committed and made Israel to sin in provoking the LORD God of Israel to anger with their idols.
- Now the rest of the acts of Elah and all that he did, behold, they are written in the Book of the Chronicles of the Kings of Israel.
- ¶ In the twenty-seventh year of Asa king of Judah, Zimri reigned seven days in Tirzah.
And the people were encamped against Gath, which belonged to the Philistines.
- And the people who were encamped heard the news that Zimri had conspired, and had also slain the king;
wherefore all Israel made Omri, the commander of the army, king over Israel that day in the camp.
- And Omri went up from Gath, and all Israel with him, and they besieged Tirzah.
- And when Zimri saw that the city was taken, he went into the shrine of the king’s house and burned the king’s house over him with fire, and died,
- Because of the sins which he committed in doing evil in the sight of the LORD, in walking in the ways of Jeroboam the son of Nebat, and the sins which he did to make Israel sin.
- Now the rest of the acts of Zimri and the treason that he wrought, behold, they are written in the Book of the Chronicles of the Kings of Israel.
- Then the people of Israel were divided into two parts: half of the people followed Tibni the son of Ginath to make him king, and half followed Omri.
- But the people who followed Omri prevailed against the people who followed Tibni;
so Tibni died and Omri reigned.
- In the thirty-first year of Asa king of Judah, Omri began to reign over Israel, and reigned for twelve years;
six years he reigned in Tirzah.
- And he bought the hill of Samaria from Shemer for one talent of silver, and he built on the hill, and called the name of the city which he built after the name of Shemer, the owner of the hill of Samaria.
- But Omri did evil in the sight of the LORD, and did worse than all the kings who were before him.
- And he walked in all the ways of Jeroboam the son of Nebat and in his sins wherewith he made Israel to sin, to provoke the LORD God of Israel to anger with their idols.
- Now the rest of the acts of Omri, and all that he did and all his might, behold, they are written in the Book of the Chronicles of the Kings of Israel.
- So Omri slept with his fathers and was buried in Samaria;
and Ahab his son reigned in his stead.
- ¶ And in the thirty-eighth year of Asa king of Judah, Ahab the son of Omri began to reign over Israel;
and Ahab the son of Omri reigned over Israel in Samaria twenty-two years.
- And Ahab the son of Omri did evil in the sight of the LORD above all who were before him.
- And as though it had been a light thing for him to walk in the sins of Jeroboam the son of Nebat, he went and took to wife Jezebel the daughter of Ethbaal king of the Zidonians, and went and served Baal and worshipped him.
- And he erected an altar for Baal in the house of Baal which he had built in Samaria.
- And Ahab served idols;
and Ahab did more to provoke the LORD God of Israel to anger than all the kings of Israel who were before him.
- In his days did Ahab build the accursed place, Jericho;
he finished it with the death of Abiram, his first-born, and set up its gates with the death of his younger son Shacob, according to the word of the LORD, which he spoke by Joshua the son of Nun.