- ¶ AND Elijah the Tishbite, who was of the inhabitants of Gilead, said to Ahab, As the LORD God of Israel lives, before whom I stand, there shall not be dew nor rain these years but according to my word.
- And the word of the LORD came to him, saying,
- Depart from here and turn eastward and hide yourself by the brook of Cherith that is before the Jordan.
- And you shall drink from the brook;
and I have commanded the ravens to feed you there.
- So he went and did according to the word of the LORD;
for he went and dwelt by the brook of Cherith that is before the Jordan.
- And the ravens brought him bread and meat in the morning, and bread and meat in the evening;
and he drank from the brook.
- But after a while the brook dried up because there had been no rain in the land.
- ¶ And the word of the LORD came to him, saying,
- Arise, go to Zarephath, which belongs to Zidon, and dwell there;
behold, I have commanded a widow there to feed you.
- So he arose and went to Zarephath.
And when he came to the gate of the city, behold, the widow was there gathering sticks;
and he called to her and said, Bring me a little water in a vessel, that I may drink.
- And as she was going to fetch it, he called to her and said, Bring me a morsel of bread in your hand.
- And she said, As the LORD your God lives, I have nothing but a handful of flour in a pot and a little oil in a cruse;
and, behold, I am gathering a few sticks, that I may go in and bake it for me and my son, that we may eat it and die.
- And Elijah said to her, Fear not;
go and do as you have said;
but first make a little cake and bring it to me, and afterward make for yourself and your son.
- For thus says the LORD God of Israel, The pot of flour shall not be spent, and the cruse of oil shall not diminish, until the day that the LORD sends rain upon the earth.
- And she went and did according to the saying of Elijah;
and she and he and her household did eat many days.
- And the pot of flour was not spent, neither did the cruse of oil diminish, according to the word of the LORD, which he spoke by Elijah.
- ¶ And it came to pass after these things that the son of the woman, the mistress of the house, fell sick;
and his sickness was so sore that there was no breath left in him.
- And she said to Elijah, What have I done to you, O prophet of God?
Are you come to me to call my trespasses to remembrance and to slay my son?
- And Elijah said to her.
Give me your son.
And he took him from her bosom, and carried him up into the upper chamber where he abode, and laid him upon his own bed.
- And he cried to the LORD and said, O LORD God, why hast thou also brought misfortune upon this widow with whom I sojourn, by slaying her son?
- Then he stretched himself upon the boy three times and cried to the LORD and said, O LORD my God, let this boy’s soul return to him again.
- And the LORD heard the voice of Elijah;
and the soul of the boy returned into him again, and he revived.
- And Elijah took the boy and brought him down from the upper chamber into the house, and delivered him to his mother;
and Elijah said to her, See, your son lives.
- And the woman said to Elijah, Now I know that you are a prophet of God and that the word of the LORD in your mouth is truth.