- ¶ AND Hiram king of Tyre sent his servants to Solomon;
for he had heard that they had anointed him king in place of his father;
for Hiram was always a lover of David.
- And Hiram sent to Solomon and blessed him.
And Solomon sent to Hiram, saying,
- You know how David my father could not build a house to the name of the LORD his God because of the wars which were about him on every side, until the LORD put his enemies under the soles of his feet.
- But now the LORD my God has given me rest on every side, so that there is neither adversary nor evil occurrence.
- And, behold, I purpose to build a house to the name of the LORD my God, as the LORD spoke to David my father, saying, Your son, whom I will set upon your throne in your place, shall build a house to my name.
- Now therefore command that they cut for me cedar trees out of Lebanon;
and my servants shall be with your servants;
and I will give you wages for your servants according to all that you shall ask;
for you know that there is no one among us who has the skill to cut timber like the Zidonians.
- And when Hiram heard the words of Solomon, he rejoiced greatly, and said, Blessed be the LORD this day, who has given to David a wise son over this great people.
- And Hiram sent to Solomon, saying, I have heard the things for which you have sent to me;
and I will do all your desire concerning timber of cedar and timber of fir.
- My servants shall bring them down from Lebanon to the sea, and I will convey them by sea in floats to the place that you shall appoint me, and I will cause them to be discharged there, and you shall receive them from there;
and you shall also accomplish my desire in giving food for my household.
- ¶ So Hiram gave Solomon cedar trees and fir trees according to his desire.
- And Solomon gave Hiram twenty thousand measures of wheat for food for his household and twenty thousand measures of pure oil;
thus gave Solomon to Hiram year by year.
- And the LORD gave Solomon wisdom, as he promised him;
and there was peace between Hiram and Solomon always, and they two made a league together.
- And King Solomon raised a levy out of all Israel;
and the levy was thirty thousand men.
- And he sent them to Lebanon, ten thousand a month by turns;
a month they were in Lebanon and two months at home;
and Adoniram was in charge of the levy.
- And Solomon had seventy thousand men who bore burdens and eighty thousand hewers of stone in the mountain,
- Besides the chiefs of Solomon’s officers who were set over the work, three thousand and three hundred, who were in charge of the people doing the work.
- And the king commanded and they brought great stones, costly stones, and hewed stones to complete the house.
- And Solomon’s builders and Hiram’s builders and the stonemasons did hew them;
so they prepared stones and timber for the building of the house.