- ¶ FORASMUCH then as Christ has suffered for you in the flesh, arm yourselves also with this very thought;
he who subdues his body ceases from all sin,
- That he should no longer live the rest of his time in the flesh to the lusts of men, but to the will of God.
- For the time past sufficed to have wrought the will of the pagans when you lived in lasciviousness, drunkenness, revellings, indecent singing, and worship of idols.
- ¶ And behold, they think it strange that you do not indulge with them in the past excesses, and they blaspheme against you.
- And they shall answer to God, who is to judge the quick and the dead.
- For, for this cause the gospel was preached also to those who are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, and live according to God in spirit.
- ¶ But the end of all things is at hand;
be devout therefore, and be mindful of prayer.
- And above all things have fervent love toward one another, because love covers a multitude of sins.
- Be hospitable to strangers without grudging.
- So let everyone of you according to the gift he has received from God, minister the same to your fellowmen, like good stewards of the manifold grace of God.
- If any man preach, let him preach the word of God;
and if any man minister, let him do it according to the ability which God has given him, so that in everything you do, God may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom belongs glory and honour for ever and ever.
- ¶ My beloved, do not think it strange at the trials that come upon you, as though some strange thing happened to you, because these things are to prove you.
- But rejoice, for you are partakers of Christ’s sufferings;
and when his glory shall be revealed you may be glad also with exceeding joy.
- If you are reproached for the name of Christ, blessed are you, for the glorious Spirit of God rests upon you.
- But let none of you suffer the fate of a murderer or a thief or a malefactor.
- If any man suffers as a Christian, let him not be ashamed, but let him glorify God through that very name.
- For the time is come that judgment must begin with the house of God;
and if it first begins with us, what shall be the end of those who do not obey the gospel of God?
- And if the righteous scarcely be saved, how shall the wicked and the sinner stand judgment?
- Therefore let those who suffer according to the will of God commit their souls to him in well doing as to a faithful Creator.