- ¶ NOW the Philistines gathered together all their armies at Aphek;
and the Israelites were encamped by the fountain which is in Jezreel.
- And the lords of the Philistines were passing in review by hundreds and by thousands;
but David and his men marched in the rear with Achish.
- Then the princes of the Philistines said to Achish, Why are these men marching here?
And Achish said to the princes of the Philistines, This is David, the servant of Saul, the king of Israel, who has been with us a year and some months, and I have found no fault in him from the day he came to me until this day.
- But the princes of the Philistines were angry with him;
and they said to him, Drive this fellow out of the camp, that he may return to his place which you have assigned him;
and let him not go with us to the battle, lest he be an adversary to us there;
for how could this man reconcile himself to his lord, except with our heads?
- Is not this David, of whom the daughters of Israel sang one to another with timbrels, saying, Saul has slain his thousands, and David his tens of thousands?
- ¶ Then Achish called David and said to him, As the LORD lives, you have been upright, and your coming in and your going out with me in the battle is good in my sight;
for I have not found evil in you since the day of your coming to us to this day;
nevertheless you are not good in the sight of the lords.
- Wherefore now return, and go in peace, that you may not displease the lords of the Philistines.
- And David said to Achish, But what have I done?
And what have you found in your servant from the day that I have come to you until this day, that I may not go and fight against the enemies of my lord the king?
- And Achish answered and said to David, I know that you are as good in my sight as an angel of God;
but the princes of the Philistines have said, He shall not go with us to the battle.
- Now therefore rise up early in the morning with your master’s servants who came with you;
and at daybreak, go on your way.
- So David and his men rose up early in the morning to return to the land of the Philistines.
And the Philistines went up to Jezreel.