- ¶ BUT of the times and seasons, my brethren, you have no need that I should write to you.
- For you yourselves know perfectly well that the day of our Lord comes like a thief in the night.
- For when they shall say, Peace and tranquility;
then sudden destruction will come upon them, as travail upon a woman with child;
and they shall not escape.
- But you, my brethren, are not in darkness that that day shall overtake you as a thief.
- You are all the children of light and the children of the day;
and you are not the children of the night nor the children of darkness.
- ¶ Therefore let us not sleep, as do others, but let us watch and be sober.
- For those who sleep, sleep in the night;
and those who are drunken are drunken in the night.
- But let us who are the children of the day be alert, putting on the breastplate of faith and love, and for a helmet put on the hope of salvation.
- For God has not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ,
- Who died for us, that whether we wake or sleep, we shall live together with him.
- ¶ Wherefore comfort one another and edify one another, even as also you do.
- We beseech you, my brethren, to respect those who labor among you and admonish you in our Lord and teach you,
- That you esteem them very highly in love, and be at peace with them for their work’s sake.
- Now we beseech you, my brethren, correct those who offend, comfort those who lack courage, bear the burdens of the weak, and be patient toward all men.
- See that none of you render evil for evil;
but always follow that which is good, both among yourselves and to all men.
- ¶ Be joyful always.
- Pray without ceasing.
- In everything give thanks;
for this is the will of God in Jesus Christ concerning you.
- Do not quench the Spirit.
- Do not reject prophecies.
- Prove all things, uphold that which is good.
- Abstain from every sort of evil.
- ¶ May the very God of peace sanctify you wholly;
and may your spirit and soul and body be preserved without blemish to the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
- Faithful is he who has called you, and he will keep his word.
- My brethren, pray for us.
- Salute all our brethren with a holy kiss.
- I adjure you by our Lord that this epistle be read to all the holy brethren.
- The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you.