- ¶ I BESEECH you, therefore, first of all to offer to God, petitions, prayers, supplications, and thanksgiving for all men,
- For kings and for all in authority;
that we may live a quiet and peaceable life, in all purity and Godliness.
- For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour,
- Who desires all men to be saved and to return to the knowledge of the truth.
- For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Jesus Christ,
- Who gave himself a ransom for all, a testimony which came in due time.
- For that testimony I was appointed a preacher and an apostle;
I tell the truth and I lie not;
and I became the teacher of the Gentiles in a true faith.
- I wish, therefore, that men pray everywhere, lifting up their holy hands without anger and doubting thoughts.
- ¶ In like manner also, let the apparel of women be simple and their adornment be modest and refined;
not with braided hair or gold or pearls or costly array;
- But let them be engaged in good works, as is becoming women who profess reverence for God.
- Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.
- I do not think it seemly for a woman to debate publicly or otherwise usurp the authority of men, but she should be silent.
- For Adam was formed first, then Eve.
- And Adam was not deceived, but the woman was deceived and she transgressed the law.
- Nevertheless, if her posterity continue in faith and have holiness and chastity, she will live through them.