- ¶ IN the thirty-sixth year of the reign of Asa, Baasha king of Israel came up against Judah and built Ramtha, that he might let none go out or come in to Asa king of Judah.
- Then Asa brought silver and gold out of the treasures of the house of the LORD and of the king’s house, and sent them to Bar-hadad king of Aram, who dwelt in Damascus, saying,
- There is a league between me and you, as there was between my father and your father;
behold, I have sent you silver and gold;
go, break your league with Baasha king of Israel, that he may withdraw from me.
- And Bar-hadad hearkened to King Asa, and sent the commanders of his armies against the cities of Israel;
and they came and encamped against the cities of Israel;
and they took Ijon, Abel, and Beth-maacah, and all the store cities of Naphtali.
- Then when Baasha heard of it, he stopped building Ramtha, and let his work cease.
- Then Asa the king gathered together all Judah;
and they carried away the stones of Ramtha and its timber with which Baasha was building;
and King Asa built with them Ramtha of Benjamin and the town of Mizpah.
- ¶ And at that time Hanan the prophet came to Asa king of Judah and said to him, Because you have relied on the king of Aram and not relied on the LORD your God, therefore the army of Aram will flee.
- And they will go and become strong, both they and the Ethiopians and the kings that are with them, and will become great armies with very many chariots and horsemen, but when you seek the LORD your God, he will deliver them into your hands.
- For the eyes of the LORD run to and fro throughout the whole earth;
therefore, be strong, and let your heart be perfect towards his worship, and understand all his wonders;
for the LORD your God will fight for you.
- Then Asa was wroth with the seer, and put him in prison because he reported things which he did not see and made the heart of the people tremble;
therefore Asa kept himself aloof from the people at that time.
- And, behold, the acts of Asa, first and last, lo, they are written in the Book of the Kings of Judah and Israel.
- And Asa was diseased in his feet in the thirty-ninth year of his reign, and was laid in his house.
- And Asa slept with his fathers, and died in the forty-first year of his reign.
- And they buried him in his own sepulchre in the city of David, and they laid him on a bier which was filled with many kinds of spices, and they made a very great burnt offering for him.