- ¶ AND Jehoshaphat his son reigned in his stead, and strengthened himself against Israel.
- And he placed mighty men in all the fortified cities of Judah, and appointed governors in the land of Judah and in the cities of Ephraim which Asa his father had taken.
- And the LORD was with Jehoshaphat because he walked in the first ways of his father David and did not pray to images;
- But he prayed to the LORD God of his father and walked in his commandments and kept his statutes, and did not do according to the ways of Israel.
- Therefore the LORD established the kingdom in his hand;
and all Judah brought presents to Jehoshaphat and he had riches and honor in abundance.
- And his heart was strengthened in the ways of the LORD;
moreover he uprooted the altars and the high places which were within the territory of Judah.
- Also in the third year of his reign he sent and called his princes and the commanders of the armies, even to Obadiah, Zechariah, Nathanael, Melachiah, to teach in the cities of Judah.
- And with them were the Levites, even Shemaiah, Nethaniah, Zechariah, Ashaiel, Natorah, Jonathan, Adonijah, and Tobiah.
These were all Levites, and with them were Elishama and Jehoram, priests.
- And they taught in all the land of Judah, having the book of the law of the LORD with them, and went about throughout all the cities of Judah and taught the people.
- ¶ And the fear of the LORD fell upon all the kingdoms of the lands that were round about Judah, so that they made no war against Jehoshaphat.
- Also some of the cities of the Philistines brought Jehoshaphat presents, silver, and poll tax;
and the Arabians brought him flocks, seven thousand and seven hundred rams, and seven thousand and seven hundred he-goats, yearly.
- And Jehoshaphat grew exceedingly rich;
and he built in Judah castles and store cities.
- And he had much business in the cities of Judah;
and the men of war, mighty men of valour, were in Jerusalem.
- And this is the number of them according to the house of their fathers.
Of Judah, the commanders of thousands: Adino the chief, and with him mighty men of valour, three hundred thousand.
- And next to him was Johanan the commander, and with him two hundred and eighty thousand valiant men.
- And next to him was Shemai the son of Zerah, with whom the LORD was pleased, and with him two hundred thousand valiant men.
- And of Benjamin: Eliada, a mighty man of valour, and with him, armed with bow and shield, two hundred thousand.
- And next to him was Jehozabad, a mighty man, and with him a hundred and eighty thousand ready for the war.
- These were all who served King Jehoshaphat, besides those whom the king put in the fortified cities throughout all the land of Judah.