- ¶ FOR we know that if our earthly house were destroyed, we still have a building made by God, a house not made with hands, eternal in heaven.
- We also weary over this earthly house, earnestly longing to use our house which is in heaven.
- If not so, even when we are clothed, we will still be naked.
- While we are in this earthly house, we groan because of its weight;
yet we are unwilling to leave it, but rather wish to add to it, so that death will be overcome by life.
- Now he who has prepared us for this very thing is God, who also has given to us the pledge of his Spirit.
- Therefore we know and are convinced that so long as we dwell in the body, we are absent from our Lord.
- For we walk by faith, and not by sight.
- This is why we are confident, and anxious to be absent from the body, and to be present with our Lord.
- Wherefore we endeavor, that whether present or absent, we may be pleasing to him.
- For we must all stand before the judgment seat of Christ, that every one may be rewarded according to that which he has done with his body, whether it be good or bad.
- Knowing therefore the fear of our Lord, we try in a persuasive way to win men;
so we are very well understood by God;
and I trust we are also understood by you.
- ¶ We are not boasting of ourselves to you, but we give you occasion to be proud of us before those who glory as hypocrites but who are not sincere in heart.
- For if we go wrong, we answer to God, and if we go right, it is for you.
- For the love of Christ compels us to reason thus: that if one died for all, then were all dead;
- And that he died for all, that those who live may not henceforth live for themselves, but for him who died and rose for them.
- ¶ And now from henceforth we do not know any one in the body;
even though once we had known Christ in the body, we no longer know him now.
- Whoever from now on is a follower of Christ is a new creation;
old things have passed away;
- And all things have become new through God who has reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ and has given to us the ministry of reconciliation;
- For God was in Christ, who has reconciled the world with his majesty, not counting their sins against them;
and has committed to us the word of reconciliation.
- Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us;
we beseech you for Christ, be reconciled to God.
- For he who did not know sin, for your sakes made himself sin, that we may through him be made the righteousness of God.