- ¶ AND when Athaliah the mother of Ahaziah saw that her son was dead, she arose and destroyed all the royal heirs.
- But Jehosheba, the daughter of King Joram, sister of Ahaziah, took Joash the son of Ahaziah and stole him from among the king’s sons who were slain;
and she hid him and his nurse in her bedchamber;
thus she hid him from Athaliah, so that he was not slain.
- And he was hidden with her in the house of the LORD six years.
And Athaliah reigned over the land.
- ¶ And in the seventh year Jehoiada the priest sent and brought the captains of hundreds and the guards and the runners, and had them come to him into the house of the LORD and stationed them there, and made a covenant with them and took an oath of them and showed them the king’s son.
- And he commanded them, saying, This is the thing that you shall do: a third part of you who enter in on the sabbath shall keep guard of the king’s house;
- And a third part shall be at the gate of Kersa;
and a third part at the gate of the house of the guards;
so shall you keep the watch of the house, that it be in perfect order.
- And two parts of all you that go off duty on the sabbath, even they shall keep the watch of the house of the LORD together with the king’s house;
- And you shall surround the king, every man with his weapons in his hand;
and whosoever comes within range, let him be slain;
and you be with the king as he goes out and as he comes in.
- And the captains of the hundreds did according to all that Jehoiada the priest commanded them;
and they took every man his then who were to be on duty on the sabbath, with those who were to be off duty on the sabbath, and came to Jehoiada the priest.
- And the priest gave to the captains of hundreds King David’s spears and shields, which were in the house of the LORD.
- And the guards stood, every man with his weapons in his hand, from the right side of the temple to the left side of the temple and they surrounded the altar and the king’s house.
- And they brought forth the king’s son and put the royal crown upon his head, and they anointed him and made him king;
and they clapped their hands and said, Long live the king!
- ¶ And when Athaliah heard the noise of the uproar of the people as they rejoiced, she came to the people into the temple of the LORD.
- And when she looked, behold, the king stood by the pillar, as was the custom of the kings, and the princes and the trumpeters were standing before the king, and all the people of the land were rejoicing, and blowing with trumpets;
and Athaliah tore her clothes and cried, Treason!
- But Jehoiada the priest commanded the captains of hundreds and the officers of the army, and said to them, Take her forth outside the ranks;
and whosoever follows her shall be slain with the sword.
For the priest had said, Let her not be slain in the house of the LORD.
- So they made room for her;
and she went by the way of the horses’ entrance to the king’s house;
and there she was slain.
- ¶ And Jehoiada the priest made a covenant between the LORD and the king and the people, that they should be the LORD’S people;
between the king also and the people.
- And all the people of the land went into the house of Baal and demolished his altars and broke his images in pieces and slew Mattan the priest of Baal before the altar.
And the priest appointed officers over the house of the LORD.
- And he took the captains of the hundreds and the guards and the runners and all the people of the land;
and they brought down the king from the house of the LORD, and came by the way of the gate of the guard to the king’s house.
And he sat on the throne of the kings.
- And all the people of the land rejoiced, and the city was quiet;
and they slew Athaliah with the sword in the king’s house.
- Joash was seven years old when he began to reign.