- ¶ JOSIAH was eight years old when he began to reign, and he reigned thirty-one years in Jerusalem.
And his mother’s name was Jedidah, the daughter of Azariah of Boscath.
- And he did that which was right in the sight of the LORD, and walked in all the way of David his father, and did not turn aside to the right hand or to the left.
- Now in the eighteenth year of King Josiah, the king sent Shaphan the son of Alaziah, the son of Meshullam, the scribe, to the house of the LORD, saying,
- Go up to Hilkiah the high priest that he may deliver the silver which has been brought into the house of the LORD, which the keepers of the door have collected from the people;
- And let them deliver it into the hand of the workmen who have the oversight of the house of the LORD: and let them give it to the doers of the work which is in the house of the LORD, to repair the breaches of the house,
- To the carpenters and to the builders and masons, and to buy timber and hewn stone to repair the house of the LORD.
- However there was no accounting made with them of the money that was delivered into their hands, because they dealt faithfully.
- And Hilkiah the high priest said to Shaphan the scribe, I have found the book of the law in the house of the LORD.
And Hilkiah gave the book of the law to Shaphan the scribe and he read it.
- And Shaphan the scribe came to the king, and brought the king word again, saying, Your servants have delivered the money that was found in the house, and have delivered it into the hand of the workmen who have the oversight of the house of the LORD.
- And Shaphan the scribe spoke to the king, saying, Hilkiah the priest has given me a book.
And Shaphan read it before the king.
- ¶ And when the king had heard the words of the book of the law, he tore his clothes.
- And the king commanded Hilkiah the priest and Ahikam the son of Shaphan and Achbor the son of Micah and Shaphan the scribe and Ashaiah a servant of the king, saying,
- Go, inquire of the LORD for me and for all the people and for all Judah concerning the words of this book that has been found;
for great is the wrath of the LORD that is kindled against us, because our fathers have not hearkened to the words of this book, to do according to all that which is written in it.
- So Hilkiah the priest and Ahikam and Achbor and Shaphan and Ashaiah went to Huldi the prophetess, the wife of Shallum the son of Tikvah, the son of Hadhas, the keeper of the weapons (now she dwelt in Jerusalem studying the Law), and they talked with her.
- And she said to them, Thus says the LORD God of Israel: Tell the man who sent you to me,
- Thus says the LORD: Behold, I will bring evil upon this country and upon its inhabitants, even all the words of the book which the king of Judah has read,
- Because they have forsaken me and have burned incense to other gods and have provoked me to anger with all the works of their hands;
therefore my wrath shall be kindled against this place and I shall destroy you, says the LORD.
- But to the king of Judah who sent you to inquire of the LORD, thus shall you say to him: Thus says the LORD God of Israel concerning the words which you have heard:
- Because your heart was sad and you trembled before the LORD when you heard what I spoke against this country and against its inhabitants, that they should become a desolation and a curse, and have torn your clothes and wept before me;
I also have heard you, says the LORD.
- Behold, therefore, I will gather you to your fathers, and you shall be gathered into your grave in peace;
and your eyes shall not see all the evil which I will bring upon this country.
And they brought the king word again.