- ¶ YOU, therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Jesus Christ.
- And the things which you have heard from me by many witnesses, these entrust to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also.
- Therefore endure hardships as a good soldier of Jesus Christ.
- No man can be a soldier and also entangle himself with the things of this life, if he would please him who has chosen him to be a soldier.
- And if a man also strive for mastery in contest, he is not crowned except he compete lawfully.
- The husbandman who labors should be the first to be sustained by the fruits.
- Perceive these things: and may our Lord give you wisdom in all things.
- ¶ Remember Jesus Christ who rose from the dead, he who was a descendant from David according to my gospel;
- Because of him I suffer hardships, even to bonds like a malefactor;
but the word of God is not restricted.
- Therefore I endure all things for the sake of the elect, that they may also obtain the salvation which is in Jesus Christ, with eternal glory.
- This is a true saying: For if we die with him, we shall also live with him:
- If we suffer, we shall also reign with him;
if we deny him, he also will deny us;
- But if we believe not in him, yet he will still remain faithful;
for he cannot deny himself.
- ¶ You should keep these things in remembrance as a testimony before our Lord, that the faithful should not argue over words in which there is no profit but which are destruction to those who listen to them.
- Strive to conduct yourself perfectly before God, as a soldier without reproach and one who preaches straightforwardly the word of truth.
- Shun empty and worthless words, for they only increase the ungodliness of those who argue over them.
- And their word will be like a canker eating in many;
such are Hymenaeus, and Philetus,
- Who have strayed from the truth, saying that the resurrection of the dead is already passed, thus destroying the faith of some.
- ¶ Nevertheless the foundation of God stands firm, having this seal: The Lord knows those who are his, and he will save from iniquity every one who calls upon the name of the Lord.
- But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth;
some for formal use on occasions of honor and others for service.
- If therefore a man purifies himself from these things, he will become like a vessel pure for honor, worthy of the master’s use, and ready for every good work.
- ¶ Keep away from all the lusts of youth, and follow after righteousness, faith, love, peace, with those who call on our Lord with a pure heart.
- Keep away from foolish disputes which do not educate;
you know they cause strife.
- A servant of our Lord must not quarrel, but be gentle to all men, apt at teaching and patient,
- So that he may discipline gently those who argue against him;
and perhaps God will grant them repentance and they will know the truth,
- And come to themselves, and be saved from the trap of Satan, by whom they have been drawn to his will.