- ¶ IT came to pass as Simon Peter and John were going up together to the temple at the time of prayer, at the ninth hour,
- Behold a certain man, lame from his mother’s womb, was carried by men who were accustomed to bring him and lay him at the gate of the temple which is called Beautiful, so that he might ask alms from those who entered into the temple.
- And when he saw Simon Peter and John entering the temple, he begged of them to give him alms.
- And Simon Peter and John looked at him and said, Look at us.
- And he looked at them, expecting to receive something from them.
- Then Simon Peter said to him, Gold and silver have I none;
but what I have I give to you.
In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk.
- And he took him by the right hand and lifted him up;
and in that very hour his legs and his feet received strength.
- And he, leaping up, stood and walked, and entered with them into the temple, walking and leaping and praising God.
- And all the people saw him walking and praising God;
- And they recognized that he was the beggar who had sat daily and asked alms at the gate which is called Beautiful;
and they were filled with amazement and wonder at what had happened.
- And as he was assisted by Simon and John, all the people ran in astonishment towards them to the porch that is called Solomon’s.
- ¶ And when Simon Peter saw it, he said to them, Men of Israel, why are you wondering at this man or why are you looking at us as though by our own power or authority we had made this man to walk?
- The God of Abraham and of Isaac and of Jacob, the God of our Fathers has glorified his Son Jesus whom you delivered up and denied in the presence of Pilate when he was determined to let him go.
- But you denied the Holy One and the Righteous and asked a murderer to be given to you,
- And killed the Prince of Life, whom God has raised from the dead;
all of us are his witnesses.
- Faith in his name has healed this man whom you see and know, and made him strong;
it is the faith in him which has granted this healing before you all.
- But now, my brethren, I know that you did this through ignorance just as your leaders did it.
- But those things which God before had preached by the mouth of all the prophets that his Christ should suffer, he has so fulfilled.
- Repent, therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out when the times of tranquillity shall come to you from before the presence of the Lord;
- And he shall send to you One who has been prepared for you, even Jesus Christ,
- Whom heaven must receive until all the things which God has spoken by the mouth of his holy prophets since the world began should be fulfilled.
- For Moses said, The Lord shall raise up a prophet like me for you from among your brethren;
listen to him in all that he shall say to you.
- And it shall come to pass that every person who will not listen to that prophet shall be lost from his people.
- Yea, and all the prophets from Samuel and those that follow after, as many as have spoken and preached, have likewise foretold of these days.
- You are the children of the prophets and of the covenant which God made with our fathers, saying to Abraham, By your seed shall all the kindred of the earth be blessed.
- Now it was for you first, God appointed and sent his Son to bless you if you turn and repent from your evils.