- ¶ WOE to them who despise Zion and trust in the mountain of Samaria, who are chosen by the chiefs of the nations that have captivated the house of Israel!
- Pass over to Caliah and see;
and from thence go to Hamath the great;
then go down to Gath of the Philistines.
Are they better than these kingdoms?
Or is their territory greater than your territory?
- O you who wait for the evil day, and cause the sabbath of violence to come near;
- Who lie upon beds of ivory, and give themselves to pleasures upon their couches, and eat the fatlings from the flock and calves from the midst of the herd;
- Who chant to the sound of the harp, and consider themselves skilled in the musical instruments like David;
- Who drink pure wine, and anoint themselves with the finest perfumes;
but they are not grieved for the affliction of Joseph.
- Therefore now they shall be carried captive with the first who go captive, and the joy shall be taken away from their rulers.
- ¶ The LORD God has sworn by himself, says the LORD the God of hosts, I abhor the excellency of Jacob and hate his palaces;
therefore I will deliver up the city with all that is in it.
- And it shall come to pass, if there remain ten men in one house that they shall die.
- And a man’s uncle or one who is near to him shall carry the dead body out of the house;
and he shall say to him who is in the house, Is there any one else in the house with you?
And he shall say, There is no one, because they have perished;
for they did not mention the name of the LORD.
- For, behold, the LORD will go forth and he will smite the great house and cause it to quiver, and the little house will he make desolate.
- Do horses run upon rocks?
Or does one plough with horses?
For you have turned justice into bitterness, and the fruit of righteousness into wormwood;
- You who rejoice over nothing, who say, Have we not taken a city by our own strength?
- Therefore, behold, I will raise up against you a nation, O house of Israel, says the LORD the God of hosts;
and they shall drive you away from the entrance of Hamath to the valley of Arabah.