- ¶ IN the third year of Cyrus king of Persia a thing was revealed to Daniel, whose name was called Belteshazzar;
and the thing was true, but the thing and the vision were discerned and understood with great difficulty.
- In those days I, Daniel, was mourning three times seven weeks of days.
- I ate no dainty food, neither meat nor wine entered into my mouth, neither did I anoint myself at all, till fully three times seven weeks of days were fulfilled.
- On the twenty-fourth day of the first month, as I was by the side of the great river Euphrates.
- I lifted up my eyes and looked, and behold, a certain man clothed in linen, whose loins were girded with glory and majesty.
- His appearance was peculiar, and there is nothing like it;
and his face as the appearance of lightning and his eyes as lamps of fire and his arms and his feet like the color of burnished brass and the sound of his words like the sound of many armies.
- And I, Daniel, alone saw this vision;
for the men who were with me did not see the vision;
but a great fear fell upon them, so they fled because of the fear.
- Wherefore I was left alone and saw this great vision, and there remained no strength in me;
and my heart trembled, and there was no strength in me.
- And when I heard the sound of his words, I fell down upon my face on the ground;
- ¶ And behold, a hand touched me and set me upon my knees and upon the palms of my hands.
- And he said to me, Arise, O Daniel, O man greatly beloved;
understand the words that I speak to you, and stand upright;
for now I have been sent to you.
And when he had spoken this word to me, I stood up trembling.
- Then he said to me.
Fear not, Daniel;
for from the first day that you did set your heart to comprehend so that you might stand before your God, your words have been heard, and I have come in response to your words.
- The ruler of the kingdom of Persia withstood me twenty-one days;
but lo, Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me;
and I remained there against the wishes of the ruler of Persia.
- Now I have come to let you know what shall befall your people in the latter days;
for yet the vision is for the end of the days appointed.
- And when he had spoken these words to me, I set my face towards the ground and was speechless.
- And behold, one resembling a man touched my lips;
then I opened my mouth and spoke and said to him who stood before me, O my LORD, by the vision my heart trembled and I was unable to rise.
- For how can the servant of my lord talk with this my lord?
For, behold, there is no strength in me, neither is there breath left in me.
- Then again the one whose appearance was like that of a man touched me and strengthened me,
- And said, O man greatly beloved, fear not;
peace be to you;
have courage, be strong.
And when he had spoken to me, I was strengthened and said, Let my lord speak;
for I have been strengthened.
- Then he said to me, Do you know why I have come to you?
And now I will return to fight with the ruler of Persia;
and when I went out, lo, the ruler of Greece came.
- But I will show you that which is noted in the scripture of truth;
and there is none to help me in these things but Michael your prince and myself.