- ¶ YOU are the children of the LORD your God;
you shall not make tattooed patterns in the skin, nor any baldness between your eyes for the dead.
- For you are a holy people to the LORD your God, and the LORD has chosen you to be a beloved people to himself, above all the peoples that are on the face of the earth.
- You shall not eat any abominable thing.
- These are the beasts which you shall eat: the ox, the sheep, the goat,
- The hart, the gazelle, the roebuck, the wild goat, the buffalo, the rock-goat, the mountain goat.
- Every animal that parts the hoof and has the hoof divided into two parts and chews the cud among the animals, that you shall eat.
- Nevertheless you shall not eat of these that chew the cud, or of these that have the hoof divided, such as the camel, the hare, and the coney;
for they chew the cud, but their hoofs are not divided;
therefore they are unclean for you.
- And the swine, because it divides the hoof, but does not chew the cud, is unclean for you;
you shall not eat of their meat, nor touch their dead carcasses.
- These you shall eat of all that are in the waters: all that have fins and scales you shall eat:
- And whatever does not have fins and scales, you shall not eat;
it is unclean for you.
- Of all clean birds you shall eat.
- But these are the ones of which you shall not eat: the eagle, the vulture, and the raven after its kind,
- The ostrich, and the hawk after its kind,
- The owl, the pelican, the crow,
- The little owl, the night hawk, and the bee eater,
- The stork, the hoopoe after its kind,
- The desert cock, and the peacock,
- And all the brood of these birds is unclean for you, you shall not eat them.
- But of all dean birds you shall eat.
- You shall not eat of anything that is unclean, but you shall give it to the stranger who is in your towns, that he may eat it.
- Or you may sell it to an alien;
for you are a holy people to the LORD your God.
You shall not cook a kid in its mother’s milk.
- ¶ You shall truly tithe all the increase of your seed that the field brings forth year by year.
- And you shall eat before the LORD your God, in the place where he shall choose to set his name, the tithes of your grain, of your wine and of your oil and of the firstlings of your herds and of your flocks;
that you may learn to revere the LORD your God always.
- And if the way is too long for you, so that you are not able to carry it;
because the place where the LORD your God chooses to set his name is too far from you, when the LORD your God has blessed you;
- Then you shall turn them into money, and bind up the money in a cloth and keep it in your possession, and go to the place which the LORD your God chooses;
- And you shall buy with that money whatever you desire, oxen or sheep or wine or strong drink or whatever you may desire;
and you shall eat there before the LORD your God, and you shall rejoice, you and your household,
- And the Levite who is within your towns;
you shall not forsake him;
for he has no portion nor inheritance with you.
- At the end of three years you shall bring forth all the tithes of your crops the same year, and you shall lay it up within your towns;
- And the Levite, who has no portion nor inheritance with you, and the proselyte and the orphan and the widow who are within your towns shall come, and shall eat and be satisfied;
that the LORD your God may bless you in all the work of your hand which you shall do.