- ¶ THEN we turned and went up the way to Mathnin;
and Og the king of Mathnin came out against us, he and all his people, to battle at Erdei.
- And the LORD said to me, Do not fear him;
for I have delivered him, and all his people and his land into your hand;
and you shall do to him as you did to Sihon king of the Amorites, who dwelt in Heshbon.
- So the LORD our God delivered into our hand Og also, the king of Mathnin, and all his people;
and we smote him until none was left to him surviving.
- And we captured all his cities at that time, and we left not a city which we did not take from them, sixty cities, all the region of Argob, the kingdom of Og in Mathnin.
- All these cities were fenced with high walls, gates, and bars;
besides the suburban towns a great many.
- And we utterly destroyed them, as we did to Sihon the king of Heshbon, for we utterly destroyed all his cities, even the women and the little ones.
- But all the cattle and the spoil of the cities, we took for a prey to ourselves.
- And we took at that time out of the hand of the two kings of the Amorites the land that was on this side of the Jordan, from the river Arnon to mount Hermon
- (The Sidonians call Hermon Sirion, and the Amorites call it Senir),
- All the cities of the plain and all Gilead and all Mathnin as far as Salcah and Erdei, all the cities of the kingdom of Og in Mathnin.
- For only Og the king of Mathnin remained of the remnant of the giants;
behold, his bedstead was a bedstead of iron;
and behold, it is in Rabbath of the children of Ammon, nine cubits long and four cubits broad, according to the measure of the cubit of giants.
- ¶ And this land we possessed at that time, from Adoer, which is by the river of Arnon;
and half of mount Gilead, and its cities, I gave to the Reubenites and to the Gadites.
- And the rest of Gilead, and all Mathnin, being the kingdom of Og.
I gave to the half tribe of Manasseh;
all the region of Argob, with all Mathnin, which is called the land of giants.
- Jair the son of Manasseh took for himself all the region of Argob as far as the border of Geshur and Maachath;
and called them after his own name, Mathnin and Caproney Jair, to this day.
- To Machir I gave Gilead.
- And to the Reubenites and to the Gadites I gave the region from Gilead as far as the valley of Arnon, and the inside of the valley, and its border as far as the river Jabbok, which is the border of the children of Ammon;
- Along with the desert plain, and the Jordan, and the territory thereof, front Chinnereth as far as the sea of Arabah, the Salt Sea, which lies at the foot of Ashdod and Pisgah which is in the hilly country eastward.
- And I commanded you at that time, saying, The LORD your God has given you this land to possess it;
you shall pass over armed before your brethren the children of Israel, all of you who are valiant men of war.
- But your wives and your little ones and your cattle (for I know that you have much cattle) shall remain in your cities which I have given you
- Until the LORD have given rest to your brethren, as he has given to you, and until they also possess the land which the LORD your God is giving them beyond the Jordan;
and then shall you return every man to the possession which I have given you.
- ¶ And I commanded Joshua at that time, saying, Your eyes have seen all that the LORD your God has done to these two kings;
so shall the LORD do to all these kingdoms through which you are going.
- You shall not fear them;
for it is the LORD your God who is fighting for you.
- And I besought the LORD at that time, saying,
- I beseech thee O LORD God, thou who hast begun to show thy servant thy greatness, and thy mighty hand, and thy outstretched arm (for what god is there in heaven or on earth who can do according to thy works and according to thy mighty deeds?),
- I pray thee, let me now go over and see the good land that is beyond the Jordan, that goodly mountain, and Lebanon.
- But the LORD was wroth with me on your account, and would not hearken to me;
and the LORD said to me, Let it suffice for you;
speak no more before me of this matter.
- Go up to the top of the hill (Pisgah) and lift up your eyes eastward and westward and northward and southward, and behold it with your eyes;
for you shall not cross this Jordan.
- But charge Joshua, and encourage him, and strengthen him;
for he shall go over before this people, and he shall cause them to inherit the land which you shall see.
- So we dwelt in the valley opposite Beth-peor.