- ¶ REMEMBER now your Creator in the days of your youth, before the evil days come and the years draw nigh when you shall say, I have no pleasure in them;
- Before life ebbs, beauty fades, fortune fails, and poverty returns after prosperity;
- In the day when the legs tremble and the arms weaken, and the teeth chew no more because they are few, and the eyes are dimmed,
- And the ears shall be so dulled that the sound of women grinding at the mill is low, and a man shall rise up at the song of birds;
and the sound of women singing shall be low;
- He shall be afraid of that which is high, and shall tremble in his ways, and sleeplessness shall come upon him;
the almond tree shall blossom, and the locust shall be multiplied, and fragrance shall scatter, and trouble shall cease;
because man goes to the house of his reward and the mourners walk about the streets.
- Remember him before the silver cord is cut off and the golden bowl is broken and the pitcher is broken at the fountain or the wheel is broken at the cistern,
- Then the dust shall return to the earth as it was;
and the spirit shall return to God who gave it.
- ¶ Vanity of vanities, says the Preacher, all is vanity.
- And moreover, because the Preacher was wise, he still taught the people knowledge;
yea, he gave good heed and sought out and composed many proverbs.
- The Preacher sought to find agreeable words;
and he wrote uprightly the words of truth.
- The words of the wise are as goads, and as nails deeply fastened, which are arranged by workmen and given from one master builder.
- Furthermore, my son, take heed;
of writing many books there is no end;
and much study is a weariness of the flesh.
- ¶ Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear the LORD and keep his commandments;
this is given by one Master to every man.
- For the LORD shall bring every work into judgment, concerning everything which is hidden and known, whether it be good or whether it be evil.