- ¶ BE therefore Godlike, as beloved children.
- And walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and has given himself for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet savour.
- ¶ But let not immorality or any uncleanness or covetousness be heard of among you, as becomes saints;
- Neither cursing nor foolish words nor insults nor words of flattery, none of which are necessary;
but instead of these, let thanks be offered.
- You should know this, that no one guilty of fornication, no unclean person, no covetous man who serves idols, has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.
- Let no man deceive you with vain words;
for because of these things the anger of God comes on the children of disobedience.
- Therefore do not be partakers with them.
- For previously you were ignorant, but now you have been enlightened by our Lord, and should live therefore like children of light.
- For the fruits of light are found in all goodness and righteousness and truth;
- And so you must discern that which is acceptable before our Lord.
- Have no part in the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather condemn them.
- For it is a shame even to speak of the things that are done by them in secret.
- For all things that are condemned are exposed by the light;
and anything that is made manifest is light.
- Therefore it is said, Awake, O sleeper and rise from the dead, and Christ shall give you light.
- Watch therefore, that you live a glorious life, not as foolish men but as wise,
- Who take advantage of their opportunity;
for these are difficult days.
- Wherefore do not lack wisdom, but understand what the will of God is.
- And do not become drunk with wine, wherein is intemperance;
but be filled with the Spirit,
- Speaking to your souls in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, sing with your heart to the Lord,
- Giving thanks always for all men to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.
- ¶ Submit yourselves one to another in the love of Christ.
- Wives, submit yourselves to your husbands as to our Lord.
- For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church, and he is the saviour of the body.
- Therefore as the church is subject to Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing.
- Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ loved his church and gave himself for it,
- That he might sanctify and cleanse it by the washing of water and by the word,
- In order to build for himself a glorious church, without stain or wrinkle, or any such thing;
but that it should be holy and without blemish.
- So should men love their wives as their own bodies.
He who loves his wife loves himself.
- For no man ever yet hated his own body, but nourishes it and cherishes it, even as Christ does for his church.
- For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones.
- For this reason shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined to his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.
- This is a great mystery;
but I speak concerning Christ and his church.
- Nevertheless, let every one of you so love his wife as himself, and the wife see that she reverence her husband.