- ¶ AND the whole congregation of the children of Israel journeyed from the wilderness of Seen, after their journeys, according to the command of the LORD, and camped at Rephidim;
and there was no water for the people to drink.
- Wherefore the people quarreled with Moses, and said to him.
Give us water that we may drink.
And Moses said to them, Why do you quarrel with me?
Why do you tempt the LORD?
- And the people thirsted there for water;
and they murmured against Moses, and said to him, Why did you bring us up out of Egypt, to kill us and our children and our cattle with thirst?
- And Moses prayed to the LORD, saying.
What shall I do with this people?
They were almost ready to stone me.
- And the LORD said to Moses.
Go on before the people and take with you some of the elders of Israel;
and your staff with which you smote the river, take it in your hand and go.
- Behold, I will stand before you there on the flinty rock at Horeb, and you shall strike the flinty rock, and there shall gush water out of it, that the people may drink.
And Moses did so in the sight of the elders of Israel.
- And he called the name of the place Nassah and Meribah, because of the quarreling of the children of Israel, and because they tested the LORD, saying, Let us see if the LORD is among us or not?
- ¶ Then came Amalek to fight with Israel at Rephidim.
- And Moses said to Joshua, Choose for yourself men, and go out, fight with Amalek tomorrow;
and I will stand on the top of the hill with the staff of God in my hand.
- So Joshua did as Moses had said to him, and he went to fight with Amalek;
and Moses, Aaron, and Hur went up to the top of the hill.
- And it came to pass, when Moses lifted up his hand, Israel prevailed;
and when he let down his hands, Amalek prevailed.
- But Moses’ hands became tired;
so they took a stone and put it under him, and he sat upon it;
and Aaron and Hur supported his hands, the one on one side, and the other on the other side;
and his hands were steady until the going down of the sun.
- And Joshua defeated Amalek with the edge of the sword.
- Then the LORD said to Moses.
Write this for a memorial in a book and place it before Joshua;
for I will utterly blot out the remembrance of Amalek from under heaven.
- And Moses built an altar, and called the name of it Jehovah-nasi:
- For he said, Behold, as the LORD has sworn, the LORD will fight with Amalek from generation to generation.