- ¶ AND God spoke all these words, saying,
- I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
- You shall have no other gods except me.
- You shall not make for yourself any graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above or that is in the earth beneath or that is in the water under the earth;
- You shall not worship them nor serve them;
for I the LORD your God am a zealous God, visiting the offenses of the fathers upon their children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate me;
- And showing mercy to thousands of generations of those who love me and keep my commandments.
- You shall not take a false oath in the name of the LORD your God;
for the LORD will not declare him innocent who takes an oath in his name falsely.
- Remember the sabbath day to keep it holy.
- Six days shall you labor and do all your work;
- But the seventh day is a sabbath to the LORD your God;
in it you shall not do any work, you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your manservant, nor your maidservant, nor your cattle, nor the sojourner who dwells in your towns;
- For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the seas, and all things that are in them, and rested on the seventh day;
therefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day and sanctified it.
- ¶ Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the LORD your God gives you.
- You shall not kill.
- You shall not commit adultery.
- You shall not steal.
- You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
- You shall not covet your neighbor’s house, you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor anything that is your neighbor’s.
- ¶ And all the people observed the thunderings and the lightning flashes and the sound of the trumpet and the mountain smoking;
and when the people saw all of this, they were afraid and they stood afar off.
- And they said to Moses, You speak to us, and we will listen;
but let not God speak with us, lest we die.
- And Moses said to the people, Fear not;
for God is come to prove you, that his worship may be before your faces, and that you may not sin.
- And the people stood afar off, and Moses drew near to the thick darkness where God was.
- ¶ And the LORD said to Moses, Thus you shall say to the children of Israel, You have seen that I have talked with you from heaven.
- You shall not make for yourselves gods of gold to be worshipped along with me, neither shall you make for yourselves gods of silver.
- An altar of earth shall you make to me, and you shall sacrifice on it your burnt offerings and your peace offerings, your sheep and your oxen;
in every place where I shall make a memorial to my name I will come to you and I will bless you.
- And if you make me a stone altar, you shall not build it of hewn stones;
for if you lift a tool of iron upon it, you will have polluted it.
- Neither shall you go up by steps to my altar, that your nakedness be not exposed on it.