- ¶ AND the LORD said to Moses, Hew two tablets of stone like the first ones;
and write upon the tablets the words that were on the first tablets, which you broke.
- And be ready in the morning, and come up in the morning to mount Sinai, and present yourself there to me on the top of the mountain.
- And no man shall come up with you, neither shall any man be seen throughout all the mountain;
neither let the flocks nor herds feed opposite that mountain.
- And Moses hewed two tablets of stone like the first ones;
and he arose early in the morning and went up to the top of mount Sinai, as the LORD had commanded him, and took in his hand the two stone tablets.
- ¶ And the LORD descended in the cloud and stood with him there and announced the name of the LORD.
- And the LORD passed by before him, and proclaimed, The LORD, The LORD, The God merciful and compassionate, longsuffering, and abundant in goodness and truth,
- Keeping mercy for thousands of generations, forgiving sins and transgressions, who by no means justifies the guilty;
visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the children’s children, to the third and fourth generation.
- And Moses made haste and fell on the ground and worshipped.
- And he said, If now I have found mercy in thy sight, O my LORD, let now my LORD go with us;
for it is a stiff-necked people;
and pardon our offenses and our sins and our guilty conscience.
- ¶ And the LORD said, Behold, I will make a covenant before all your people;
I will do marvels such as have not been done in all the earth, nor in any of the nations;
and all this people among whom you are shall see the work of the LORD;
for it is a terrible thing that I will do with you.
- Observe the things which I command you this day;
behold, I will destroy from before you the Canaanites, the Amorites, the Hittites, the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites.
- Take heed to yourself lest you make a covenant with the inhabitants of the land whither you go, lest they become a stumbling block to you.
- But you must destroy their altars, break their images, and cut down their idols.
- For you shall worship no other god;
for the LORD whose name is zealous, is a zealous God.
- You shall not make a covenant with the inhabitants of the land, so that the people may not go astray after their idols and sacrifice to their gods, and they shall invite you, and you shall eat of their sacrifices;
- And you shall take of their daughters to your sons, and give your daughters to their sons;
and your daughters shall go astray after their gods, and their daughters cause your sons to go astray after their gods.
- You shall make to yourself no molten gods.
- ¶ The feast of unleavened bread you shall keep.
Seven days you shall eat unleavened bread, as I commanded you, in the time of the month of Abib;
for in the month of Abib you came out from Egypt.
- All that opens the womb is mine;
and every firstling among your cattle, both of the oxen and of the lambs.
- And all the firstlings of the cattle you shall redeem with a lamb;
but if you shall not redeem it, then you shall kill it.
All the first-born of your sons you shall redeem.
And none shall appear before me empty-handed.
- Six days you shall work, but on the seventh day you shall rest;
in the time of ploughing and during harvest you shall rest.
- And you shall observe the feast of weeks, the feast of the firstfruits of wheat harvest, and the feast of ingathering at the year’s end.
- Three times a year shall all your memorial offerings be brought before the LORD, the God of Israel.
- For I will destroy the nations from before you, and enlarge your borders;
neither shall any man covet your land when you shall go up to appear before the LORD your God three times in a year.
- You shall not offer the blood of a sacrifice with leavened bread;
neither shall the sacrifice of the feast of the passover be left over to the morning.
- The first of the firstfruits of your land you shall bring to the house of the LORD your God.
You shall not cook a kid in its mother’s milk.
- And the LORD said to Moses, Write these words;
for by these words I have made a covenant with you and with all Israel.
- ¶ And he was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights;
he neither ate bread nor drank water.
And he wrote upon the tablets the words of the covenant, the ten commandments.
- And it came to pass, when Moses came down from mount Sinai with the two tablets of testimony in his hand, when he came down from the mountain, Moses knew not that the skin of his face shone while the LORD talked with him.
- And when Aaron and all the children of Israel saw Moses’ face, behold, the skin of Moses’ face shone;
and they were afraid to come near to him.
- So Moses called to them;
and Aaron and all the leaders of the congregation returned to him;
and Moses talked with them.
- And afterward all the children of Israel came near to him;
and he gave them in commandment all that the LORD had spoken with him in mount Sinai.
- And when Moses had finished speaking with them, he put a veil on his face.
- But when Moses went in before the LORD to speak with him, he took the veil off until he came out.
And he came out and spoke to the children of Israel that which he was commanded.
- And the children of Israel saw the face of Moses, that the skin of Moses’ face shone;
and Moses took off the veil from his face when he went in to speak with the LORD.