- ¶ AND it came to pass in the eleventh year, on the first day of the month, the word of the LORD came to me, saying,
- Son of man, because Tyre has said against Jerusalem, Aha, the gates of the people are broken;
the people have turned to me;
I shall be enriched, now that she is destroyed and is laid waste.
- Therefore thus says the LORD God: Behold, I am against you, O Tyre, and will cause many nations to come up against you, as the sea causes its waves to come up.
- And they shall destroy the walls of Tyre and demolish her towers, and remove the soil from her;
and I will make her like a bare rock.
- It shall be a drying place for nets in the midst of the sea, because I have spoken it, says the LORD God;
and it shall become a spoil to the nations.
- And her daughters who are in the field shall be slain by the sword;
they shall know that I am the LORD.
- For thus says the LORD God: Behold, I will bring upon Tyre Nebuchadnezzar, king of Babylon, king of kings, from the north with horses and with chariots and with horsemen and a multitude and much people.
- He shall slay with the sword your daughters who are in the field;
and he shall set up forts against you and cast a mount against you and lift up the buckler against you.
- And he shall strike the sharp points of his spears against your walls, and he shall destroy your towers with his swords.
- By reason of the abundance of his horses, their dust shall cover you;
your walls shall shake at the noise of his horsemen and of the wheels and of the chariots, when he shall enter your gates as men enter into a city in which is made a breach.
- With the hoofs of his horses he shall tread down all your streets;
he shall slay your people by the sword, and your mighty altars shall he demolish to the ground.
- And his army shall plunder your riches and make a prey of your merchandise;
and they shall demolish your walls and destroy your pleasant houses;
and they shall cast your stones and your timber and your wealth into the sea.
- And I will cause the noise of the multitude of your songs to cease;
and the sound of your harpers shall be heard no more.
- And I will make you a bare rock, a drying place for nets;
you shall be built no more: for I the LORD have spoken it, says the LORD God.
- ¶ Thus says the LORD God to Tyre: At the sound of your fall and of the torment of your slain and the slaughter which is made in the midst of you, the islands shall tremble.
- Then all the princes of the sea shall come down from their thrones and lay away their robes and put off their embroidered garments;
they shall clothe themselves with trembling;
they shall sit upon the ground, and shall tremble and become restless, and be astonished at you.
- And they shall take up lamentations over you, and say to you, How you are destroyed, O you inhabitant of the seas, O fortified city, which was strong in the sea, she and her inhabitants, who caused their terror to be on all the inhabitants thereof!
- Now shall the isles tremble in the day of your fall;
yea, the isles that are in the sea shall be troubled in the day of your fall.
- For thus says the LORD God to Tyre: When I shall make you a desolate city, like the cities theft are not inhabited;
when I shall bring up the deep upon you, and great waters shall cover you;
- When I shall bring you down with those who descend into the grave, with the people of old time, and shall set you in the lowest parts of the earth, in places desolate of old, with those that go down into the pit, that you be not inhabited;
and I will not cause your resurrection in the land of the living:
- I will give you to destruction, you will be sought for, yet you will not be found again for ever, says the LORD God.