- ¶ THE word of the LORD came to me, saying,
- Now, Son of man, make a lamentation over Tyre;
- And say to Tyre, O you that are situated at the entry of the sea, the trading center of the people and of many islands, Thus says the LORD God: O Tyre, you have said, I am the crown of beauty.
- Your borders are in the midst of the seas, your builders have perfected your beauty.
- They have brought you timber of fir trees from Senir for your ships;
they have taken cedars from Lebanon to make masts for you.
- Of the oaks of Bashan have they made your oars;
they have made your benches of ivory brought from the isles of China.
- Fine linen with embroidered work brought from Egypt was made for your sails;
blue and purple they brought you from the islands of Alis for your covering.
- The inhabitants of Zidon and Arwad were your mariners;
your wise men, O Tyre, were your pilots.
- The elders of Gebal and the wise men thereof were your caulkers;
all the ships of the sea with their mariners were in your harbors.
- The Persians, the Lydians, and the men of Put, all valiant men, were in your army;
they hung the shields and the helmets in you;
they were your glory.
- The men of Arwad with your army manned your fortified walls and guarded your towers;
they hung their shields upon your walls round about;
they made your beauty perfect.
- Tarshish was your market place by reason of the abundance and variety of your wealth: silver, iron, tin, and lead they brought in to you for sale.
- Javan, Tubal, and Meshech were your merchants;
they traded with you in slaves and vessels of brass in your markets.
- They of the house of Togarmah traded in your markets with horses and horsemen and mules.
- The men of Deran were your merchants;
many islands were the markets for the products of your hands;
they brought you for presents horns of ivory for ointment, and frankincense.
- Edom was your market place by reason of many of your products: your purple, fine linen, embroidered work, purple robes, bracelets, and agate.
- Judah and the land of Israel, they were your merchants;
they traded in your markets wheat, rice, millet, honey, oil, and balsam.
- Damascus was your market place in the multitude of your products and your wealth;
she traded with good wine and white wool.
- Dan and Javan brought you merchandise to your markets from Usal, their iron ore, cassia, and cane.
- Deran was your market place;
her merchants brought you the choicest cattle.
- They also brought you rams, lambs, and kids.
- The merchants of Sheba and Raamah brought to your markets their best spices and precious stones and gold.
- Haran and Canneh and Eden, the merchants of Sheba and Assyria, were your merchants.
- These were your merchants, who brought you blue clothes and embroidered work and precious riches, which were wrapped up and bound with cords and laden in ships made of cedar.
- The men of Tarshish who dwell west of you brought you loads of merchandise, and you were filled and became exceedingly strong.
- ¶ Your rowers have brought you into great waters;
the east wind has broken you in the midst of the seas.
- Your riches and your merchandise and your fairs, all your chosen warriors, your mariners and your pilots, your caulkers and the handlers of your merchandise and all your men of war and all the multitude of people who are in you shall fall in the midst of the seas in the day of your ruin.
- Those who dwell round about you shall tremble at the sound of the wailing of your pilots.
- And all that handle the oar, the mariners and all the pilots of the sea, shall come down from their ships, they shall stand on the shore,
- And they shall lament over you a great and bitter lamentation and shall cast dust upon their heads and shall wallow in ashes:
- And they shall shave their heads in mourning over you, and gird themselves with sackcloth, and they shall weep for you with bitterness of heart and bitter wailing.
- And their sons shall take up lamentations for you and lament over you, saying, Who was like Tyre built in the midst of the sea?
- When your wares went forth upon the seas, you filled many nations;
you enriched the kings of the earth with the abundance of your riches and of your merchandise.
- In the time when you shall be broken and sink in the depths of the sea, your merchandise and all your people in the midst of you shall fall.
- All the inhabitants of the islands shall be astonished at you and their kings shall be sore afraid;
tears shall run down their faces.
- The merchants among the people shall hiss at you;
you have become a ruin, and you never shall be any more.